The Who Sell Out mono

Just what the name says.
Chris M

The Who Sell Out mono

Postby Chris M » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:03 am

In case anyone missed it Classic Records just released the mono and stereo Sell Out. I'm about to take the plunge and get the mono. Anyone else totally confounded by the mono Sell Out mix? Did PT really want his guitar mixed that low in Odorono? I think the whole "the original mix has the fairy dust on it" just doesn't apply to AQO and Sell Out. IMO they didn't have a clue when they mixed those albums. Flawed as it is I strongly prefer the Sell Out remix but I'm up for hearing a better sounding mono mix.

BTW, can someone refresh my memory re the missing bit in Rael on the original mono/stereo Sell Out? Is that when the janitor threw the tape in the trash and it was damaged?

Any idea why Classic didn't release the stereo AQO? It better not be because of See My Way..

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:12 am

There are things I like better about the original (stereo) mix of Sell Out. There are also things I like better about the remix.

As far as Rael goes, do you mean the "goldfish being swallowed by a whale" line? Don't know, as that was *not* part of the damage. The story as I understand it: the tape was thrown out, and the first few seconds were damaged. The only tape they had was a rough mono mix, so that was copied back to 4-track and some additional vocals were added. That's why the intro is all mono with the exception of some Pete vocals. The edit point is pretty obvious (and the missing bit is *after* the edit).

AQO probably confused them. I know the guy who wrote the bit on their site said he liked the stereo better or something.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

MK

Postby MK » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:12 am

It terms of programming and content, the remix is tough to beat. I dunno, I think that extra content and new sequencing ultimately trumps any improvement in a vintage mono mix.

It still wouldn't stop me from listening to both.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:05 am

Agreed. Wish those digital glitches weren't there, though.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:17 am

Such a good album. Bury me with it please.

Not that I'm planning on checking out of the Hunte Hotel any time soon. I still got to see the rest of this season's O.C.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:32 am

Ever since I heard the remix, I can't listen to the edited Rael on the original mix anymore. It just sounds ... horrible. That can't have been the artistic intention. On the other hand, something's wrong with the backing vocals on the Rael remix...processed, bright and somehow isolated.

I am a big fan of the original stereo mix for the other songs except Silas Stingy, which sounds more coherent in mono, and Armenia City In The Sky, which is far more powerful in mono.

I don't see the point of the stereo remix other than Rael. Surely, the original mix was sloppy (the guitar solo on Relax starting late, for example), but ...