Ongoing Rolling Stones thread

Just what the name says.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:43 am

lukpac wrote:
b) Yeah, the early-version and late-version HR2 are definitely different, despite not much changing concretely between the two issues. The EQ is different enough so to quite-obviously show up on a frequency analysis.

No fade-ups?

What fade-ups on Hot Rocks 2?

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:27 am

Xenu wrote:Aww hell. Another weird variation to report...and this one actually doesn't have to do with the London CDs.

We've known for a while that there are two versions of the old ABKCO "Hot Rocks" out there: one version has the "organ intro" version of "Time is On My Side" (this is the one I have), while the other has the "guitar intro" version of "Time is On My Side" (it's this disc that accidentally gets cloned for the French "Hot Rocks 1"). I am, of course, loathe to buy any more old ABKCO discs, but today I struck library gold by coming across a copy of the guitar-intro version in the stacks. Sweet. I guess.

OK. Firstly, the discs themselves look different. Any thoughts?

Please forgive me, as I had come into this thread way late. I just want to know if any of this talk concerns the MFSL mastered West German Stones CDs from 86?

I keep read about two different ABKCO masterings, French clones, ABKCO clones of Japanese CDs with a touch of EQ, and digital syncs. Both logos, SACD differences and similarities, organ and guitar intros, etc. But I can't make out if West German discs are being talked about at all here, or not at all. And since those are the only Decca era Stones CDs I ever bought, I would like to listen and compare to later shitty Abkco US discs for variations. But I'm lost here.

West German / MFSL or not?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:51 am

Andreas wrote:What fade-ups on Hot Rocks 2?

Well, that's what I'm asking. Were fade-ups added to any of the first batch in their second incarnations other than HR1? Obviously some of the discs that weren't released originally (MHR) have fade-ups.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:41 pm

BTW, Luke, I checked: the Flowers/BTB SACDs are the wide versions on the ABKCO original CD.

It doesn't sound like London folded in their versions: rather, it sounds as if the London CD uses dubs that were made on the same tape machine responsible for the Let It Bleed/Beggars dubs (no slower speed, but slight "bleed-through" between channels). What I have to wonder is: why didn't they just use the BTB album master? Is it possible that the original "Back-Street Girl" and "PGH" were sent to the US?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:13 pm

Xenu wrote:BTW, Luke, I checked: the Flowers/BTB SACDs are the wide versions on the ABKCO original CD.

It doesn't sound like London folded in their versions: rather, it sounds as if the London CD uses dubs that were made on the same tape machine responsible for the Let It Bleed/Beggars dubs (no slower speed, but slight "bleed-through" between channels). What I have to wonder is: why didn't they just use the BTB album master? Is it possible that the original "Back-Street Girl" and "PGH" were sent to the US?

That album is certainly an oddity. Not sure why London used the US lineup in the first place. Since *apparently* both the US and UK masters were copies, and the London BTB CD didn't have that problem...

The head spins.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:43 pm

David and I are trying to get the FAQ going again, so...bump.

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:20 am

I actually like the Goats Head Soup / It's Only R & R era very much. Keith's playing and writing is so beautiful even if he smacked out of his mind there.

Those albums were a big fucking deal at the time. The singles charted, the albums sold, the shows rocked like hell, and the band had a good time too.

Love those albums and all the boots with various under-dubs, alt. takes, etc. I went hog wild on the snail mail trades when usenet exploded into one big boot party trading list. I must have had 50 boots a week coming in there for a while...

And the Decca stuff is wonderful too. I like the sound of the Around and Around album.....German LP comp I think it is.