Ongoing Rolling Stones thread

Just what the name says.
dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:01 pm

They've got some nice equipment/junk listed there, but how come they didn't properly align their tape machine (or use a mono headstack)? None of the mono tracks in the entire series were transferred right, for fuck's sake.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:11 pm

God, those press releases are naseuating. FWIW, I got beaten up recently in a sh.tv thread by a guy who took (certainly legitimate) umbrage at our feeling that the SACD layers may, more often than not, not be pure DSD-->SACD transfers, with one (or MORE) pcm steps in between. He may have a point, although I disagreed with his contention that my view was akin to a "conspiracy theory," because it made a liar of Bob Ludwig. My feeling is similar to Luke's, in that much of the "objectionable" stuff happened *before* Ludwig; it simply doesn't make sense otherwise (why would he narrow some stuff, but leave "Back Street Girl" the way it was?).

Aftermath: I have to hope he's talking about the new stereo mixes on 12x5. Nothing's new on "Now."

Dudelsack: Those things have never been "correctly" transferred in mono. What's weird is that they only *later* started correcting them.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:52 pm

Heh. You think this is nauseating, you should see the original! I edited this HEAVILY.

Isn't there noise reduction on the SACD layer?

Regarding "Now!"--yeah, he's confused there.

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:10 am

I wonder about the supposed 10 percent of the tapes they didn't locate--which ones?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:40 am

Who knows? I feel like all of that press release stuff is just made up out of thin air.

Look, if we've learned ANYTHING from years of doing this, it's that most of the 'magic' discussed in crazy press relaeses like this never amounts to shit. You read about the PAINSTAKING RESTORATION done on early Elvis stuff, or shit like that...then you listen and go "Huh? All that tweaking...sounds pretty much the same as before."

I take the same position here. If not for that guy's insistence that there was actually an analogue-->DSD transfer in there, I wouldn't have believed it. I still feel like this reissue campaign was thrown together to promote the tour, and to get some megabucks from the Sony partnership. That it turned out pretty good is great. That two versions of Aftermath, Buttons, and Heads are still in the catalog is shameful.
-------------

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:56 am

Reissue campaign to promote the tour and get megabucks?

Of course. Its ABKCO.

That it turned out pretty good is great?

I'd say its a miracle. Its ABKCO. I'm astounded (honestly) that 12 x 5 came out with 6 stereo tracks instead of 2 or 3.

Will we get to hear more stereo stones in the future?

Doubtful, IMHO. If we do, it will likely be piecemeal to get the most bucks out of suckers like ourselves. Its ABKCO.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:23 am

I'll try to post a detailed roundup of a few more albums tonight.

By the way, sudden realization: is the reason why "Sympathy for the Devil" actually received a *real* mono mix on Beggars Banquet because the piano would've disappeared in knockdown form?
-------------

MK

Postby MK » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:38 am

Xenu wrote:That two versions of Aftermath, Buttons...are still in the catalog is shameful.

They could've released a mono and stereo disc for both, and included all U.S. and U.K. tracks on each disc. I totally would've gone for that.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:44 am

Is "Sympathy" the only BB track that has a genuine mono mix? I have a needle drop but I haven't listened to it in ages and honestly can't remember if there were any major differences.

jbohdan

Postby jbohdan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:24 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:Is "Sympathy" the only BB track that has a genuine mono mix? I have a needle drop but I haven't listened to it in ages and honestly can't remember if there were any major differences.

On the the needle drop I have Sympathy indeed sounds like the only dedicated mono mix. The other tracks sound like fold-downs with no differences from the stereo.
John

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:29 pm

Thanks, John.

Does anyone know if the mono Let It Bleed is a fold down? I've never been able to find a copy of it.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:45 pm

jbohdan wrote:On the the needle drop I have Sympathy indeed sounds like the only dedicated mono mix. The other tracks sound like fold-downs with no differences from the stereo.

Good point on Sympathy - a fold down of the stereo would eliminate the piano.

BTW, you might want to fix your e-mail address - I keep getting bounce messages for you.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:55 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:Thanks, John.

Does anyone know if the mono Let It Bleed is a fold down? I've never been able to find a copy of it.

Pretty sure it is.

That "Sympathy" is the only actual mono mix on "Beggars" is made the more obvious by the fact that it runs at the faster, correct speed.

Patrick Moss sent me an absolutely killer needle drop of the mono Beggars ages ago, with that track sounding as good as it's ever likely to.
-------------

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:10 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:Does anyone know if the mono Let It Bleed is a fold down? I've never been able to find a copy of it.

Mono Let It Bleeds. Some w/unreal prices

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:20 pm

Xenu wrote:Patrick Moss sent me an absolutely killer needle drop of the mono Beggars ages ago, with that track sounding as good as it's ever likely to.

You still need to hear the 5.1 mix...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD