Wounded Bird records

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

Wounded Bird records

Postby Xenu » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:46 pm

Hey all,

Anybody have much experience with this label?

I ask because I noticed that they reissued Argent's "Argent" backed with "Circus" (two totally opposite albums, I should point out...the first, and the second to last...in fact, I thought it was a pirate for the longest time!), and I was wondering about the quality of each. Prior issues of "Argent" have either been hiss-fests or have been drowned in no-noise, while Circus has never seen an actual CD issuage before.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:53 pm

AFAIK, the main person behind WB was originally behind One Way. Same goofy borders around the covers, for example.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, they generally use the masters and don't do much in terms of mastering. That is to say, the tape might not sound the best, but I don't think they do much (*maybe* some EQ?) to screw things up.

I posted those Mason Proffit clips a few months ago. The EQ is way off (why?), but there weren't any other problems, and I was able to fix that easy enough.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:09 pm

Interesting. Why'd they stop using the One-Way name?
-------------

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:26 pm

I've got one Wounded Bird release - the Hollies reunion album. Sounds like a straight transfer to my ears. Awful record though.

I'll probably end up getting the Byrds '73 reunion album at some point too. I have the WEA import version that lops off part of 'See The Sky About To Rain'.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:11 pm

Xenu wrote:Interesting. Why'd they stop using the One-Way name?

I don't know the details, but AFAIK One Way continued for a time after that guy left.

http://www.artist-shop.com/wounded/
It was not too long ago that Terry Wachsmuth helped start One Way Records for which he was head of A&R. Recently Terry left One Way to start Wounded Bird Records and continue his efforts to re-release classic albums that would otherwise never see the light of day on CD!

The One Way website hasn't been updated for years, although I did actually get a response about something within the past year or so.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:05 pm

One Way was sold, I think, to Alliance Entertainment, which went bankrupt and morphed into AEC One Stop group. (IIRC - maybe I'm confusing it with pre-Sanctuary Castle).

AEC One Stop owns allmusic.com.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:47 pm

Tangled web, eh?

Has anybody here heard the Argent disc?
-------------