Beach Boys - "Smile" reconstruction

Just what the name says.
Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Beach Boys - "Smile" reconstruction

Postby Mike Hunte » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:08 pm

Last year, before I took ill, I mentioned to Mr. Goodwin that this was going to be my next major project - to do a faithful Beach Boys reconstruction of "Smile" based on the current BW released version. Well, it barely got under way for me before mother nature intervened.

I've heard two others since then, but with my return to FLAC'ing tonight I think I've found the best of them - The PurpleChick reconstruction. I'd say that I probably agree with 90% of the choices done here, and most are done quite well considering what there is available to work with. I have some minor quibbles -- mostly in some of the processing used and a few of the mix balances -- but the sync's, digital speed manipulation, and editing are still very lovingly done. The goal with this reconstruction was to present it in stereo, and I probably would have done mine in mono. It's not perfect, but I don't think perfection was their goal vs. matching the current version. Thus, the 'Good Vibrations' mix is a hybrid editing and sonic monster, but still fun to listen to. Their 'Barnyard' demo sync w/ digital speed and pitch correction was balanced a tad different than my mix (one that I was actually working on when I got sick), but again still quite fun. They also chose, as I would have, to use the current "Stockholm" instrumental segues with the original recordings where needed.

I honestly think that the one thing these reconstructions do is make a valid case for the superiority of the original Beach Boys recordings. As much as some people go gaga over the Wilson/'Mints version...this will always be the real deal for me - despite Brian's current proclamations.

MH

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:03 am

The Purple Chick Smile is getting some pretty good reviews and I'm looking forward to hearing it but I've yet to hear a fan mix that satisfys me. IMO they are all WAY too over the top. I really don't care for the '04 Smile. There is absolutely NO WAY that Holiday/On a Holiday and Song For Children (nee Look/I Ran) would of been on a '66-'67 Smile. They are both the Trombone Dixie's of the Smile era (neither track received a single overdub after their backing track was recorded in Aug/Sept '66)... and those new lyrics on the '04 Smile are just ghastly. The new Da Da and Look (In Blue Hawaii) vocal melodies is way cool though..

I really doubt a '66-'67 Smile would of had 'movements'. There is really no evidence at all that supports this new theory. Sure, BW may of conceived the tracks as part of 'movements' but I can't seem him actually releasing like that in 1967. I mean the mixes we have from that era are 3 minute songs that have fades..

My reconstruction would be something like this. I really don't care what order the songs are in as long as Prayer is first and Surf's Up is last. You could call this a minimalist version if you will.

Prayer (GV box)
Heroes (Cantina version from '01 SS/WH twofer)
Do You Like Worms (GV box with tape drag section digitally restored)
Wind Chimes (GV box)
Vegetables (not sure w/ version, maybe GV box)
Fire ('66 edit)
Da Da (GV box)
I'm in Great Shape (the short '66 instrumental backing track w/ sax & bass)
Wonderful (GV box)
You Were My Sunshine (Vigatone Smile)
Child is the Father of the Man (BW's '66 3 min. edit assembled from the SOT's)
Surf's Up (backing track from GV box Disc 5 followed by piano demo from GV box)

That's it. I wouldn't even bother with Barnyard. It's not on the '66/'67 back cover slick so I don't think it would of made the LP unless it was going to stay part of Heroes. Ditto for Song For Children/Look and Holidays, if we are going for historical accuracy then these tracks do not belong on the LP. All evidence supports that Brian abandoned those tracks very early in the sessions. I don't like any of the frankenstein versions of Surf's Up doing the rounds. I'm happy with the solo piano demo. The '66 first movement backing track is a thing of beauty so I like it right before the solo demo. Obviously it wouldn't of been like that in '67 but that backing track is so amazing that it should be used somewhere.

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:17 am

Check out the PurpleChick if you get a chance. Being that it's based on the current BW Smile, it really strives to replicate that...at all sonic costs. Therefore...you may not like all the edits and "overdubs" involved. Definitely WAY over the top, but a helluva lot of fun. Like I said before, 'Good Vibes' is a freaking sonic alien with all the stuff they mashed together. Conversely, the hybrid monster of 'Vegetables' is pretty amazing IMO.

In fact, they even did cheat a tad on 'Cabinessence'. They tagged on the final note/phrase from the current BW version to the '20/20" track.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:12 am

I hate fan mixes.

Even my own "mixes" (rather "edits"). I did a nice flowing mono Vegatables, consisting solely of Brian's original mono mix attempts as found on SOT 17, plus the a-capella part from the Smiley Smile version. 7 or 8 edits in total. No section was remixed or cross-faded. I never listen to it.

But the only valid and (for me) listenable construction is from a purely historical viewpoint.

1. Present the sessions for each song, unremixed and unaltered, edited only to cut down the studio chatter. The existing demos should also be included here.
2. Then present all the mixed sections (mostly test mixes), and with that I mean original mixes. Unmixed original edits like "Look" (labelled "take 20" on SOT 17) or "I Wanna be Around/Friday Night" are also to be included here.
3. Finally, present the Mark Linett mixes from 1988, since they have become the standard versions in some cases (e.g. Do You Like Worms).

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:25 am

Chris M wrote:There is absolutely NO WAY that Holiday/On a Holiday and Song For Children (nee Look/I Ran) would of been on a '66-'67 Smile. They are both the Trombone Dixie's of the Smile era (neither track received a single overdub after their backing track was recorded in Aug/Sept '66)...

There was a vocal session for Look, 10/13/66, at least the documentation for it. We don't know what was recorded during that session, though.
My reconstruction would be something like this. I really don't care what order the songs are in as long as Prayer is first and Surf's Up is last. You could call this a minimalist version if you will.

Why should Surf's Up be the last song?

The version on the GV box set sounds way better.
Wind Chimes (GV box)

A Mark Linett mix? Why not use the entire unmixed stereo edit, as found on SOT 17? Would you rather listen to Linett's Smile or to Brian's Smile?

Linett's worst Smile mix.
Fire ('66 edit)

There is only one choice: The SOT 17 mono mix, with crackling fire noises. That's an original finished mix by Brian!
Wonderful (GV box)

Not much choice here. Too bad that the additional backing vocals ("yodelay") are not part of that mix.

Too bad that the complete song (with the "barnshine" coda) is only available in shit quality. The SOT 16 version sounds great, but it lacks Dennis' vocals.

Ah, a fan edit. :) Brian's own instrumental mix is available on the Archaeology boot.

Perfect choice, but most definitely not what was planned then.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:09 am

A SMiLE bootlegs FAQ would be an interesting thing to do. I have SOT 15-18, Gema, Vigotone, Archaeology, Heroes&Vibrations, Heroes And Villains Sessions, Mark Linett 1988 Rough Mixes, Secret Smile, Get The Boot, Psychedelic Sounds, not to forget Dumb Angel Rarities 1, plus a few odds and ends. And the official releases. A thorough comparison, also with respect to sound quality, has never been done as far as I know. The FAQ should also include all the known recording dates or details.

Uhhhh.....give me a about a year. :)

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:04 am

Hah. Let's finish the Stones and Who FAQs first!

Where does one find this Purple Chick monster? We still owe 'em for the BBC set; I feel it's about time I repaid the favor by listening to a vanity project.

FWIW, my problem with the Wilson/Mints "Smile" is simple: I had developed my own personal narrative of how it should progress, and I was totally "wrong"....and some who have been too overeager to embrace Brian's retroactive history have declared the '04 Smile to be what "Was always intended."

I mean, I was going to be wrong anyway, but still...
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:44 am

Andreas wrote:I hate fan mixes.

I don't like them either - god knows there are enough of them floating around.

But, the PurpleChick isn't a fan mix or edit. That needs to be clarified. It's mission is simple. To reconstruct the Beach Boys "Smile," using the official BW released version as its basis.

Of course the current BW version isn't how it was "meant to be" or how it would have been released way back when. The Chick reconstruction simply attempts to provide a respective BB's version for comparison's sake against the officially released version.

And in my opinion, the BB's "version" is better for a plethora of reasons. Mainly, as vocalists, the BB's in their prime could provide a blend that as Chuck Britz once said " could bring tears to your eyes." The 'Mints, while obviously quite talented, are just masters of mimicry. They have all the moves down perfectly, but end up just sounding like a (albeit a good one) tribute band. I also prefer the variety on the original recordings that the different voices provide. Carl singing 'Cabinessence'. Al singing the bulk of 'Vegetables'. Dennis singing 'You Are My Sunshine'. etc...

Which leads to...

Secondly, another obvious point is that Brian's not so subtle modern vocal deficiencies -- the monotone shouting effect -- just don't lend the beauty to these tracks that they deserve. One only has to listen to the original 'Surf's Up' bridge or the original 'Wonderful' to understand this...the latter which was doubled by a 'Mint anyway on the current version. I just don't buy into this whole notion of the current "Smile" being better because it's sung in Brian's fractured, world-weary voice.

Finally, the production values of the 60's tracks just can't be replicated, no matter how hard they tried on BWSmile. :)

All, IMO, of course...
Last edited by Mike Hunte on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:52 am

Xenu wrote:Where does one find this Purple Chick monster?

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/for ... y.php?f=12

BTW, is there some way to upload a jpeg attachment from one's computer here, rather than just posting a link? I'd like to attach the Chick's reconstruction notes.

I'm a computer buffoon, so if it's possible Luke, clue me in if you could.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:53 am

I don't think I ever setup the attach file thing. So at this point, no.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:55 am

lukpac wrote:I don't think I ever setup the attach file thing. So at this point, no.

Ok...I'll email it to you then. Could you FTP it up to your space and post a link?

Pretty please?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:05 am

Maybe.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:08 am

lukpac wrote:Maybe.

Bastard.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:09 pm

Andreas wrote:
Chris M wrote:There is absolutely NO WAY that Holiday/On a Holiday and Song For Children (nee Look/I Ran) would of been on a '66-'67 Smile. They are both the Trombone Dixie's of the Smile era (neither track received a single overdub after their backing track was recorded in Aug/Sept '66)...

There was a vocal session for Look, 10/13/66, at least the documentation for it. We don't know what was recorded during that session, though.

Why should Surf's Up be the last song?

The version on the GV box set sounds way better.
Wind Chimes (GV box)

A Mark Linett mix? Why not use the entire unmixed stereo edit, as found on SOT 17? Would you rather listen to Linett's Smile or to Brian's Smile?

Linett's worst Smile mix.
Fire ('66 edit)

There is only one choice: The SOT 17 mono mix, with crackling fire noises. That's an original finished mix by Brian!
Wonderful (GV box)

Not much choice here. Too bad that the additional backing vocals ("yodelay") are not part of that mix.

Too bad that the complete song (with the "barnshine" coda) is only available in shit quality. The SOT 16 version sounds great, but it lacks Dennis' vocals.

Ah, a fan edit. :) Brian's own instrumental mix is available on the Archaeology boot.

Perfect choice, but most definitely not what was planned then.

Thanks for the info. Your right about that MIA October Look vocal session but after that session nothing else was done to that track.

Duly noted regarding the better sound quality of Heroes on the GV box.

What's wrong with the Linett mix of Wind Chimes on the GV box? I'm not sure I've heard the 'unmixed' Wind Chimes on SOT17. How does it compare to the Linett mix?

As for Vegetables...I don't like the song enough to really care what version is used.

I had forgotten that we have an actual '66 Fire mix. Obviously that is the one I would use.

Brian's CITFOTM instrumental mix is on Archaeology sounds too crappy to use. I would recreate his order of the CITFOTM segments using the better sounding boots.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I forgot all about Cabinessence. I would use the GV box version (same as 20/20 version).

Do you think Barnshine would of ended up on the LP even after it was cannibalized for Heroes?

MK

Postby MK » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:40 pm

I'll grab this. I did my own and posted on it a year ago (which was met with ridicule and indifference - *whimper* *sob*). I tweaked it since then but I based mine on the new SMiLE too but just went for the 'best' sound and musical experience.

Most of mine is in mono because I used the GV box set, a track here and bits and pieces there from Hoffman's 40 Greatest Hits set, etc. I agree, though, the new lyrics SUCK but I retained "Blue Hawaii" and most of the new "Look (Song For Children)." Shit like "Barnyard" and "Holiday" - what's with the pirate crap? - was dropped in favor of the wordless/instrumental tracks.

I didn't find anything wrong with "Cabinessence" from 20/20, "Surf's Up" from Surf's Up, or the original "Good Vibrations" so I just left those as is.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto