Beach Boys - "Smile" reconstruction

Just what the name says.
Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:59 pm

Yeah, it's pretty fanboy centric but there are some "insiders" there that post frequently like Alan Boyd and Stephen Desper. Speaking of Alan Boyd has posted a few times that a collector(s) almost certainly has acetates of unbooted, unheard '66-'67 Smile stuff that they don't have tapes of in the Brother vaults. There is a number of sessions we know occurred where the corresponding tapes are missing e.g. Surf's Up 2nd Movement, Great Shape vocal session with all 5 Beach Boys, missing CITFOTM verse sections, etc.

Instead of trotting out the '04 Smile I wish they would of spent all that effort into finding the missing tapes...
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:42 pm

Andreas wrote:Vegatables mono mix, my edit.

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2N7N ... KNFHOSOOKQ

This is excellent. IMO the most historically accurate version of a '67 Vegtables we have, Well done Andreas!

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:43 pm

Anyone have a Do You Like Worms with the "tape drag" section speed corrected?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:04 pm

And while were at it, does anyone have a *non-lossy* copy of the "Heroes & Vibrations" boot they could torrent or post somewhere - either FLACS, SHN, or WAV? I've had an MP3-based one for ages, but foolishly passed on an original that I saw sitting at a shop many moons ago (actually a CD-R, as I think most of them were).

MK

Postby MK » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:11 pm

Where's the tape drag section in "Do You Like Worms?" (Assuming it appears on the Good Vibrations box set version.) Is it during the vocal-less parts, the parts with vocals, etc.?
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:33 pm

The part with the "la la la la" vocals. Interestingly those la la la vocals have never turned up on boot..

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:36 am

Mike Hunte wrote:And while were at it, does anyone have a *non-lossy* copy of the "Heroes & Vibrations" boot they could torrent or post somewhere - either FLACS, SHN, or WAV?

I have traded for this one at least 10 times now. Each time I get the exact same MP3-sourced disc. :(

However, I think that there is nothing unique on this disc. Everyhting can be found either on SOT 15 (Good Vibrations sessions) or on Archaeology (various Heroes & Villains sessions), or am I mistaken? And I like the sound quality on Archaeology a bit better.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:43 am

Chris M wrote:
Andreas wrote:Vegatables mono mix, my edit.

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2N7N ... KNFHOSOOKQ

This is excellent. IMO the most historically accurate version of a '67 Vegtables we have, Well done Andreas!

Thanks for the kind words. Three things about my edit are debatable:
1. The use of the "Smiley Smile version fade" as the third verse . Most fan edits (and the Smile 2004 version) use the "scat verse" for the first half of the third verse instead. The third verse on my version is edited together from two mono mix attempts as found on SOT 17. Notice that the overdubbed bells do not hit any wrong note. Now compare to the unedited mono mix attempts on SOT 17. :)
2. The use of the a-capella section from the Smiley Smile version. It might have been recorded during the April '67 sessions, but maybe not. Nevertheless, it fits perfectly.
3. The use of the "Linett fade". Fitting or not, it is a beautiful segment, and a finished mono mix.
Last edited by Andreas on Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:46 am

Chris M wrote:Anyone have a Do You Like Worms with the "tape drag" section speed corrected?

I know that Ryan Guydry (sp?) used a speed-corrected version of that one for his Smile mix ("Ryan's Smile"). He posted it in the form of MP3 files, however, and I always suspected some additional amateur noise reduction at work. Many fan mixes are destroyed by some amateurish noise reduction. (The "clean" Barnyard for example that I have.)

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:33 am

Hey guys - I have a CDR dub of "Heroes & Vibrations" that is taken straight from an "original". I'll see if I can dig it up.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:54 am

JWB wrote:Hey guys - I have a CDR dub of "Heroes & Vibrations" that is taken straight from an "original". I'll see if I can dig it up.

I have an "original" of dubious authenticity...what, was this thing out for, like, five minutes or something? If I had some idea of what actual Vigotones are supposed to look like on this title...

Regardless, I've never done any sort of spectral analysis on my copy, though I'd be happy to do so. I bought it before MP3 trading became too prevalent, so maybe I escaped the curse...
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:32 am

Andreas wrote:
However, I think that there is nothing unique on this disc. Everyhting can be found either on SOT 15 (Good Vibrations sessions) or on Archaeology (various Heroes & Villains sessions), or am I mistaken? And I like the sound quality on Archaeology a bit better.

I haven't compared all the discs to see if there's anything unique on H&V. I have a FLAC of the SOT Good Vibes and an MP3 based Archaeology, but they're sitting on my other computer...far away.

I'd still like to get a lossless H&V for completists sake, so I'm kinda hoping that there *is* something unique to that set. That was one of my favorite boots when it first came out, if only for the plethora of vocal sessions on it.

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:46 pm

Here's some other comments/reviews of the PurpleChick if anyone's interested. "darlin's" a little more enthusiastic about Barnyard and Good Vibes than I am. But, I find myself agreeing with much of what is said:

http://www.earcandymag.com/purplechicksmile-2005.htm

http://comiclist.com/smileysmile/viewto ... 44&start=0

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:13 pm

czeskleba wrote:Everybody knows Brian is sensitive to criticism, and I think as a result there has emerged this subgroup of Brian fanboys who believe that any criticism of any Brian project is somehow going to filter back to him and cause him to have another breakdown. It's a sort of cultlike "Brian says the new Smile is better so we must agree with him" thing.

After spending a few days sifting through some posts on various BW boards, I've noticed another phenomenon. One that's actually been around for awhile.

For some reason, these diehards need to remind all that Brian is "doing better than he has in ages," "singing better than he has in ages," "looking better and happier than he has in ages," etc...

My point being, is that I've been hearing these exact same proclamations for the last 20 or so odd years with literally every new project or performance that he's attached to!

I think a lot of it has to do with this notion of the mentally anguished Brian (i.e. the good guy) vs. everything else that they perceive as a threat (Landy, Love, Thomas, BB's, "misguided fans and critics," etc). The Briantologists have always seen it as their duty to be a personal defender and crusader for the Wilson cause. If Brian simply flashes that awkward painted smile on a TV appearance, opens his mouth, or does his hand puppet dances...it's a personal victory for them as well. Furthermore, they get angry when anyone on the "outside" sees it all as anything other than spectacular. It's really bizarre...considering how low the bar is often set.

Or maybe it's just projective wishful thinking on their part, or a desire to draw some sort of parallel to his glory days.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:32 pm

Mike Hunte wrote:After spending a few days sifting through some posts on various BW boards, I've noticed another phenomenon. One that's actually been around for awhile.

For some reason, these diehards need to remind all that Brian is "doing better than he has in ages," "singing better than he has in ages," "looking better and happier than he has in ages," etc...

My point being, is that I've been hearing these exact same proclamations for the last 20 or so odd years with literally every new project or performance that he's attached to!

Indeed, but in fairness, it isn't limited to BW. Just look at how every Stones album for the past 15 years has been "the best since Exile" or "the best since Some Girls".

It's probably worse with BW, but...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD