DCC CDR's - ATMP, Imagine, Wild Life,Pillow, Morrison Hotel

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:10 am

Easy now.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:22 pm

This has to be illegal as all hell, doesn't it? Even if they're officially "test pressings," it seems he's totally playing with fire here.

Nevertheless, I'm going to be really optimistic and say keep a close eye on the torrent sites over the next 3-4 months.
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:41 pm

CitizenDan wrote:This has to be illegal as all hell, doesn't it? Even if they're officially "test pressings," it seems he's totally playing with fire here.

Would it really be any different from unreleased acetates?

I suppose it would depend on if he had any legal obligation to destroy them or not. If not - why not?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

My Avatar Is A Hot Babe

Postby My Avatar Is A Hot Babe » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:06 pm

I'm pretty sure it's legal, since STEVE wouldn't do it otherwise.

Even if it's technically illegal, he is clearly doing the right thing. As it is, the only version of "All Things Must Pass" available in stores is the Jon Ghastly atrocity. If STEVE must bend the rules a bit to make a version with genuine analog soundwaves available to a wealthy Beatlemaniac, so be it.

I've already stopped payment on this month's child support check in order to fund my bid.
Every month is "Teabag a Gort" month!

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:46 pm

Well, the thread's gone now. I'm not sure what happened...

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:17 pm

I guess his lawyer called.

I can't imagine he thinks he can get away with just deleting the thread and pretending it never happened. Oh, who am I kidding? It never happened.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:23 pm

It is indeed.

Despite all the crowing, I would be very interested to hear Steve's take on ATMP; it wouldn't take much for it to be the best of all available versions.

I'd pass on "Wild Life," though.

By the way, which feels more ethical: selling the CDRs to make a profit, or surreptitiously posting them on mininova?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:25 pm

Notice how SH intimated that his versions of ATMP and Imagine weren't really that good...

Wild Life does suck but I have a real soft spot for Tomorrow.
Last edited by Chris M on Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:32 pm

By the way, which feels more ethical: selling the CDRs to make a profit, or surreptitiously posting them on mininova?

As Slashdot would say, the Breath of Life wants to be free!

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:56 pm

Huh. An "anonymous benefactor" is covering the cost of maintaining SH.tv for a year, no strings attached. That's a $6,000 gift, if Steve's statement of upkeep costs is accurate.

Maybe he gets the whole kaboodle of CD-Rs as a thank-you. That total's probably not far from what he would have paid at auction, anyway.
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:59 pm

So much for the "bids." IIRC, this isn't the first time he's dangled goodies and then yanked them prematurely after a fat offer.

Oh, man, I just went and glanced at the thread. Everyone's falling all over themselves in a big circle-jerk about what great people they are and what a great forum it is, etc., etc., dancing smiley, thumbs up, smileysmiley googah.

Because Steve managed to guilt someone into coughing up six grand to keep his promotional site running?

Ryan

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:10 pm

Oh well, so what's the best ATMP needle drop?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:22 pm

FWIW, "Stranger In Town" and "Never A Dull Moment" from that group DO circulate. Albeit slowly. Both are nice-sounding at the price I paid ($0).

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:24 pm

Rspaight wrote:
Because Steve managed to guilt someone into coughing up six grand to keep his promotional site running?

This KILLS me. Do people realize what's going on here? The mysterious private benefactor, IF HE EXISTS (and my $$ is on Norm if he does), is a fucking idiot.

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:26 pm

My sister's a pharmacist. The cake those people pull in for filling pill bottles is just sick. Norm's not a bad guess; he's not shy about the money he throws around on CDs and concert tickets.