Rolling Stones hybrid intrigue

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

Rolling Stones hybrid intrigue

Postby Xenu » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:17 pm

In preparation for a much-needed Stones FAQ revision, I've been running around to local libraries to see if they have any of the old ABKCO discs.

Well, for whatever reason, one of them had a RIDICULOUS amount of Stones hybrids. Now, I must admit that some I have only in JWB CDR revisions, thanks to the initial shortage...I've been waiting to find, for example, December's Children for sub-$10 before I buy it. On a lark, I decided to borrow the hybrid from the library...JUST CAUSE.

...well...

Everything cancels out to digital silence when OOPSed. Expected, right? It's a mono album.

Except JWB's CDR *doesn't*.

Was the audio content of some of the hybrids "revised" at some point? For example, I also checked out "Big Hits," and most of those tracks do *not* OOPS to silence, even when they should...in fact, "As Tears Go By" leaves some *nasty* artifacting when OOPSed.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:42 am

Are the new jewel case editions of the ABKCO albums regular CDs?

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:55 am

Pretty sure they are.
-------------

MK

Postby MK » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:39 pm

There's probably something wrong with the CD-R, like it wasn't ripped properly or burned properly.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 pm

Pretty sure they are.

The new Stones discs in jewel cases are definitely "regular CD". Only the digipaks are hybrids.

JWB

Postby JWB » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:43 pm

MK wrote:There's probably something wrong with the CD-R, like it wasn't ripped properly or burned properly.

Wrong. I just ripped my "Decembers Children" with EAC - bought the day of release - and it definitely doesn't cancel out. The channels are not equal.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:34 pm

Thanks, Xenu and Alexander.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:40 am

JWB wrote:
MK wrote:There's probably something wrong with the CD-R, like it wasn't ripped properly or burned properly.

Wrong. I just ripped my "Decembers Children" with EAC - bought the day of release - and it definitely doesn't cancel out. The channels are not equal.

So either they altered it at some point down the line (I have no way of telling whether this disc is an "inaugural" disc), or some of the pressing plants used a different master.

Intriguing.

What happens to "As Tears Go By" when you OOPS it? The one on the "Big Hits" disc I borrowed has tons of gunk left over.
-------------

JWB

Postby JWB » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:08 am

As Tears Go By:

December's Children (inaugural): doesn't cancel out - strange glitches/patches are revealed that sound like dropouts/static in phase

High Tide (inaugural): identical to December's Children

Singles Collection (inaugural): cancels out, no glitches, but basically sounds identical!

The first two were pressed at Sonopress, but the Singles set was not! Check the matrixes!

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:38 am

Anyone see if the two versions sync/cancel?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:05 pm

They do sync.
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:30 pm

This shit is just too strange.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:39 pm

Yeah. I wish we had some method of procuring "insider information," but...
-------------

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:55 am

er..what are 'JWB CDR revisions'?

Still not clear on what 'OOPSing' is either (invert paste of one channel on another?)
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:40 am

krabapple wrote:Still not clear on what 'OOPSing' is either (invert paste of one channel on another?)

"Out of phase stereo".

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5964/oops.htm