Dem Summertime Blues (Who)

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

Dem Summertime Blues (Who)

Postby Xenu » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:14 pm

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/sintro.flac

The first time through it's the MCA, the second time the Polydor (old CD).

I no longer think they sound all that similar.

So, basically, are the albums different up until '71, after which they suddenly become the same? I don't get how this works. WAY, WBN, Face Dances, TKAA, Odds and Sods...all seem to be identical. Why are TWSO, Live at Leeds, A Quick One, and Tommy different?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:38 pm

Oh, come on. I can't be the only one left!
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:45 am

FLAC means work, something I don't have a bit of time for right now. Something about finishing lots of projects around the house so we can sell it.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:08 am

Geez, you weren't kidding about real estate prices up there.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

JohnS

Postby JohnS » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:56 am

Nice looking place. But, pardon my ignorance of US real estate terminology, what's a '3/4' bathroom?!

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:09 am

Just a shower instead of a tub.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:45 pm

WHO's in the house? :roll:

If you bunch the Polydor catalogue numbers up, you almost see them switching back and forth between unique masterings and clones. A Quick One is different anyway, Live At Leeds Polydor segues the tracks together, but I'm not sure why Sell Out isn't a clone...

Odds and Sods, TKAA and Face Dances came out on Polydor 1993 ish if I remember rightly. The MCAs were widely available in the UK prior to that. The Polydors then cloned everything - including the MCA budget back tray art. All three were done at the same time (check the cat. numbers).

Different:
800077 Tommy
800106 It's Hard
813651 Who's Next
825339 Live At Leeds

Same:
831072 Quadrophenia
831552 The Who By Numbers
831557 Who Are You

Different:
835727 The Who Sell Out
835728 A Quick One (mono in any case)

Same:
517946 Odds And Sods
517947 The Kids are Alright
517948 Face Dances
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:52 pm

Phil Elliott wrote:Same:
831072 Quadrophenia
831552 The Who By Numbers
831557 Who Are You

Not according to Fang!

BTW, I need to press this guy on the Who newsgroup. He *claimed* to have Quad CDs that were actually different, and he was going to make CD-Rs for me, but that hasn't yet come to pass.

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:08 pm

I seem to have deleted my mention of the 1 sample offset on Quad from my other post. Oh well.

There's a 60 Hz hum audible on Quadrophenia on at least one fade out. That pretty much points to Polydor cloning the MCA - unless copy tapes were made in the US?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:48 pm

Quad is too expensive to do much experimentation with (whereas you can buy 5 copies of Who Are You and be out just $30).

Did we determine whether It's Hard/Face Dances are also different on the WB CDs?
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:37 am

Phil Elliott wrote:There's a 60 Hz hum audible on Quadrophenia on at least one fade out. That pretty much points to Polydor cloning the MCA - unless copy tapes were made in the US?

You're sure it's 60 Hz and not 50 Hz?

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:42 am

Yep - definately. Most noticable on the end of I've Had Enough. Being in the UK I've used to hearing 50Hz (not that it's a hobby of mine) ...

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:12 am

You're sure that noise isn't part of the recording?

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:45 pm

Well ... I can be a real geek under questioning. I decided to load all of the album onto the hard drive and check the other songs. It's easiest to detect on the end of IHE, but you have to really amplify it, and then some, and you what seems like dither noise with hum. You have to hear it, but the way it happens makes me think the hum is creeping it at some A>D stage...

I thought I'd try some filtering of other songs to see what I could dig up. I noticed that if I took the very beginnings of things like The Real Me, for example, cut everything from the mids upwards, and did an EQ boost/sweep through the lower frequencies with the narrowest Q setting, the hot spots were at around 60 and 120 Hz. I tried this with Kinks stuff aswell to make sure it wasn't an artifact of a bad EQ plugin ... 50 and 100Hz. It works. This wasn't subtle either - when you find the hum, it goes pretty loud... great fun :D

So I would rule it out as part of the recording. I think it must be part of a transfer.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:13 pm

Phil Elliott wrote:So I would rule it out as part of the recording. I think it must be part of a transfer.

Have you tried it with the remix?