Dem Summertime Blues (Who)

Just what the name says.
Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:16 pm

No. I don't have the remix. Saying that though ... why would a 60Hz hum be on a recording made in England?
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:37 pm

Phil Elliott wrote:No. I don't have the remix. Saying that though ... why would a 60Hz hum be on a recording made in England?

No idea, but I just don't want to assume it's an issue with the mastering on the CD...

What about Quad tracks on other CDs?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:14 pm

Fair point. I can't be certain about my AD stage thing anyways.

Hmmm ...

Love Reign O'er Me seems to have 60Hz stuff going on from Who Collection and Ultimate Collection, in addition to Quad itself. Who Collection also has 50Hz stuff.

5.15 original mix I can't compare - Ultimate Collection cuts off far too early and has NR, and the sound effects at the beginning rule out digging around for hum. The end is intact on Quad' though - 60Hz stuff is all there is.

5.15 1979 mix doesn't seem to have much of anything at all, except from what sounds like guitar amp buzz at the end. This is from Who Collection, and Singles.

Is there something else obvious I'm forgetting other than the box set? Is it worth me digging it out? I can do, it's just that with all those crossfades and all ... EDIT - Just realised there's only Bell Boy and Love Reign ... that's going to be relevant. I'll have a look.

I think I can see how my weekend is panning out.

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:29 pm

Ok ... Can't glean anything from the boxset, re Hz. But...

The original mixes Bell Boy and Love Reign O'er Me are much thinner compared to the Quad disc (or Who Collection), and there's a dropout in Bell Boy on the box version. Where did they source these?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:05 pm

I always thought that the box-set version of the Quad tracks sounded pretty grainy compared with all other versions I was used to at the time (the soundtrack and the remix CD). I don't think I've listened to 'em since.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:01 am

Phil Elliott wrote:Is there something else obvious I'm forgetting other than the box set? Is it worth me digging it out? I can do, it's just that with all those crossfades and all ... EDIT - Just realised there's only Bell Boy and Love Reign ... that's going to be relevant. I'll have a look.

MFSL set. Have that one?

Also, anyone have their LPs handy? I'm curious as to who mastered them. The remix CD indicates that George Jones (??) did the original mastering, while the old MCA CD has a credit for Arnie Acosta. The old Polydor has no mastering credit that I can see.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:32 am

I'll check tonight. I've got an early issue MCA (minty fresh with perfect booklet for $1 at a yard sale!) and a German Polydor (from the Phases box).

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:45 am

I think I've got an MCA hiding away too. Don't remember it sounding very good.

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:50 am

lukpac wrote:I think I've got an MCA hiding away too. Don't remember it sounding very good.

I think you still have those MFSL vs. MCA samples in my folder if you ever want to compare.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:08 pm

I meant vinyl. I know I've got a copy of the MCA CD.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:54 pm

lukpac wrote:I think I've got an MCA hiding away too. Don't remember it sounding very good.

No, it's nothing to write home about. The Polydor doesn't bowl me over, either. I think when it comes to Quad, at least the original mix, everything sounds murky.

But as far as I'm concerned, everything's an upgrade from the first copy I owned -- a Columbia Record Club LP on ultra-thin vinyl. :shock:

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:25 pm

Xenu wrote:
http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/sintro.flac

The first time through it's the MCA, the second time the Polydor (old CD).

I no longer think they sound all that similar.

Oh, come on. I can't be the only one left!

well, if you look at the file as a .wav, they're obviously different.
So I'm not surprised they sound different (which they do, to me) . Different EQ for sure.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:48 pm

lukpac wrote:Also, anyone have their LPs handy? I'm curious as to who mastered them. The remix CD indicates that George Jones (??) did the original mastering, while the old MCA CD has a credit for Arnie Acosta. The old Polydor has no mastering credit that I can see.

This is somewhat interesting. The German Polydor is credited to George Jones at The Mastering Lab, L.A.. The MCA is credited to Arnie Acosta, also at The Mastering Lab, L.A..

Ryan

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:54 pm

Which Polydor and MCA? Original or remix?

I don't have the Polydor remix, but of what I do have:

MCA original mix - Arnie Acosta
Polydor original mix - no credit (unless I'm missing it)
MCA remix - George Jones (???)
MCA LP - Arnie Acosta

That blows my theory that maybe Acosta mastered the CD...

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:36 am

Those are the LPs I mentioned above.

Ryan