Dem Summertime Blues (Who)

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:41 am

Ahh. Then that's all the more interesting.

I have to wonder if "George Jones" was a typo.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:36 am

A pretty hilarious one if so. That's the one man who could conceivably have been more inebriated than Pete at the time.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:23 am

Phil Elliott wrote:Different:
800077 Tommy

Anyone heard this? Because I don't have enough different masterings as it is (original MCA, 'NM' MCA, MFSL, 1993 MCA remaster, DE remaster).
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:32 pm

I have that one. Nothing special. Tracks common to that and The Who Collection sound a fair bit smoother on the latter ... for years that was all I had for comparison purposes.

I can FLAC the whole thing or post up samples.
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:15 pm

Overture would be nice.

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:56 pm

http://tinyurl.com/a2hyn

Valid for 7 days or 25 downloads.
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:00 pm

Phil Elliott wrote:If you bunch the Polydor catalogue numbers up, you almost see them switching back and forth between unique masterings and clones. A Quick One is different anyway, Live At Leeds Polydor segues the tracks together, but I'm not sure why Sell Out isn't a clone...

Odds and Sods, TKAA and Face Dances came out on Polydor 1993 ish if I remember rightly. The MCAs were widely available in the UK prior to that. The Polydors then cloned everything - including the MCA budget back tray art. All three were done at the same time (check the cat. numbers).

Different:
800077 Tommy

Different:
835727 The Who Sell Out

Somehow I missed the Sell Out blurb the last time around.

And as I mentioned elsewhere, Tommy was re-done to clone the re-done MCA. I have to wonder if the original issues were totally separate or not.