Newe Musick Revue

Just what the name says.
dudelsack

Newe Musick Revue

Postby dudelsack » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:53 pm

I figured all y'all old-fogies-in-young-bodies would appreciate some last-guy-to-the-party reviews of "recent" tuneage, in keeping with my recent discourse in the Franz F. thread. Note that, except for KOL and the out-of-order Arcade Fire album, I've only listened to these once. Just like any normal underpaid pitchfork snob (did I mention that I hate those guys? Ugh).

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl:
I don't know why I keep falling for these guys. They haven't made a good album yet; the first was a muddy, non-produced mess (reportedly they negotiated a contract that stipulated full control, yet had no idea how to produce or mix an album), the second was non-memorable, and this one...well...
In the style of Hubie Brown:
"Let's say you're a rock band. Let's say your most memorable song, and the only song with any spark left at the end of your 2002 European Tour, is called "What Ever Happened To My Rock And Roll Song."" Now, let's say you get kicked off your record label because you didn't earn your huge advance back. What do you do? I don't know what the answer is, pal, but recording a Country-Western-Indie album is NOT it."
Seriously, no rock, no punk, no nawta. Just T-Bone Burnett's sticky fingers all over your CD and still no hits to be found. RCA will sign just about any rock band these days, I guess...

Arcade Fire - Funeral:
I may be a little confused still, because my friend gave me a copy of this CD with the wrong track order. It started with "Crown Of Love," which I thought was a VERY daring introductory song, and dragged towards the end. Now the order makes much more sense, but I still like "Crown Of Love" as an intro. Maybe I'll make a mix CD. But, yes, one year later, the CD is very good. Lots of lush string arrangements (did they call in Paul Buckmaster?) and generally good songwriting. I like the addition of the female lead singer...let's see if they can avoid a Rumours-style breakup (though the ensuing record, if they continued to record together, would probably be amazing).
Playing Letterman tonight and Central Park tomorrow, with special guest at tomorrow's show rumored to be one David Bowie.

Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak:
Being sold (again, by RCA) as the southern Strokes, I'm not sure exactly how southern these guys sound (nor how Strokesey - pretty sure I heard the two bands on the same bill in 2003, and while the Strokes weren't great, they blew KOL's stage show away). I don't hear Lynyrd or Allmans, so maybe I'm referencing the wrong influences. Regardless, this is disposable fun, with a few good songs and a minimum of annoying ones, a decent enough sound and your girlfriend will probably not hate it. I think there's a place for music like that, right? Doesn't make me excited for ensuing albums, though.

The Killers - Hot Fuss (limited edition):
The bonus tracks betray the classic rock dinosaur that's aching to come out with this band - much less pretense and much more plodding. And of course you've heard the two singles by now. They're indeed the best songs on the album (I think Midnight Show is probably third), but I'm not as wild about the rest of the effort. Kind of half-baked from a songwriting standpoint.