Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi open for Stones...

Just what the name says.
MK

Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi open for Stones...

Postby MK » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:17 pm

:!: WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?! So the Stones are coming to Chicago, a town FULL of talented blues musicians who are barely known outside of the city, and who do the Stones get to open for them? JIM FUCKING BELUSHI and DAN AYKROYD. So those two hacks (sorry, Dan, but you're NOT a good musician, you're NOT a good singer) are supposed to be more deserving than anyone else in Chicago?

Don't give me this Blues Brothers shit, too. Only DRUNK, JIMMY BUFFETT listening Cubs fans would actually consider the Blues Brothers REAL blues. If anything, they're this close to being the Dick Clarks of blues and r&b. That is, blues and r&b have done a lot more for them they ever did for it. The only redeeming aspects of the Blues Brothers is 1) their movie was still funny and 2) they do give $$$ back to blues foundations. But there is NOTHING cool about watching two frat guys bouncing around in Blues Brothers outfits and singing Sam & Dave songs without an ounce of soul.
[/rant]
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:44 am

I guess the idea is to make the Stones look authentic by comparison.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:09 am

And their movie wasn't even that funny.
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi open for Stones...

Postby lukpac » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:38 am

MK wrote:That is, blues and r&b have done a lot more for them they ever did for it.

I can't say they've done a whole lot lately, but I do think the movies (yes, even the second one) and albums exposed a lot of people to music they otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to. I know I've gotten into a lot of blues and R&B as a direct result of the Blues Brothers.

And I liked the first movie.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:27 am

I've always loathed the Blues Brothers, and I'm not even much of a blues fan.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

balthazar

Postby balthazar » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:04 pm

I can't say they've done a whole lot lately, but I do think the movies (yes, even the second one) and albums exposed a lot of people to music they otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to.

As far as I know, Aykroyd is still doing his House-of-Blues radio show, exposing a lot of people to music they wouldn't otherwise hear.

I liked the first movie, but I didn't hate the second one. Apparently you can blame Paramount for a lot of the crap in the second one.
"It's great how you can control 60 musicians with one just stick-- I can't control these fuckers with two!" -- Ian Paice

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:04 pm

Do they still have Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn in their band?