Dylan, 'Thin Wild Mercury Music' - anyone heard this?

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:33 pm

Anyone get Vol. 7 yet?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Postby JWB » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:10 am

Yeah, it's excellent. Not much else to say. Most of the "electric" stuff has never been bootlegged.

My only complaint is that they included some previously released tracks. They had several different live versions of "Like A Rolling Stone" to choose from and they went and reycled the Manchester one because of the Judas comment. It wasn't necessary, IMO. I like the London version better.

The version of "Visions Of Johana" on there is a version I've never heard, and I've heard a few. Has it ever been bootlegged?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:59 am

I briefly listened to the clip on cc.com, but...is the mix of LARS any better than the one on the Live 1966 disc? I still think they did a piss poor job of that mix. Don't know what was wrong with the early/Guitars Kissing mix.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:22 am

It's a treasure trove. Like JWB, I could do without the recycled tracks (the one JWB mentioned plus "Song To Woody" from the first album), but the rest of it is good enough to make that a minor complaint.

"Visions Of Johanna" (from late '65 with the Band backing) is a new one on me, too, and it's great.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

damianm

Postby damianm » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:22 am

I'm SO getting this one.. whenever it hits the shelves around here :?.

Edit: how the heck do I search bt.dylantree? (not for the new set but for 'Kissing..Fix')

MK

Postby MK » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:38 pm

Nice set taken on its own terms. If you get a hold of BIOGRAPH, BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 1-3, and NO DIRECTION HOME (BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 7), you can take all the 'non-Lp' and 'bootleg' tracks up to and including the 1966 tour and burn a full four-disc set from them. Put in more or less chronological order, it makes GREAT listening.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:35 am

lukpac wrote:I'd *assume* they have the original tapes, which could present Maggie's Farm in stereo and unedited, but the question is, will they?

Well, it's from a "newly found source tape" whatever that means. There is a mixing credit, so perhaps the multis were found.

Seems to be stereo, albeit really narrow. I'll have to play around with it at home to see if it will widen up. I don't *think* there are any edits in the song itself, but I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison. Peter Yarrow's intro is there, although just about all of the "dead" time has been edited out.

Jelly

Postby Jelly » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:43 am

Funnily, Sony seems to be unaware that I was young when I left home has been previously released on limited edition of Love & Theft. So that makes three recycled tracks. Liner notes seem a bit rushed too.

I like it but of course it should have been a box set. 8)

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:00 pm

Jelly wrote:I like it but of course it should have been a box set. 8)

Mine came in a box :P

Anyone know why Sony insists on those damn double jewel cases where the tray opens to the right instead of to the left? With tabs that make the insert impossible to remove without permanent damage... :?

:?: :roll: :oops: :? :shock: :o :cry:

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:39 pm

Funny...just listening to LARS again from Manchester. Despite "Judas!" the audience seems pretty happy...

JohnS

Postby JohnS » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:15 am

Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat is the highlight for me; a really great, chugging blues take and surprisingly passionate, 'soul'ful vocals too
Re. Maggie's farm, I too was surprised it's not the nice, wide stereo mix available on some boots (From Newport to the Ancient Streets of LA, anyway)