Spin's 100 best in the last 20 years

Just what the name says.
Stretcher Case

Postby Stretcher Case » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:09 am

Beatlesfan03 wrote:Stretcher - I agree Sepultura would have been nice. I also like some of Max Cavalera's Soulfly stuff as well.

The work of the brothers Cavalera just kills. I haven't gotten into Soulfly as much, but they are definitely worth revisiting.

Unfortunately, Sepultura is the last metal band I've paid any attention too. There's got to be some rising star on the metal scene these days? All's I can think of is Rammstein and SOAD, but they're not in the same strata as Sepultura. SOAD's newest is barely listenable, of course, that's judging based on the "hit" single they play on the local head bangers station.
ALHAJI ADAMU IDRIS IS NOT HAPPY THAT YOU DEMANDED HIS PASSPORT.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:03 am

Beatlesfan03 wrote:I actually agree with you. None of the Wu-tang Clan albums are on it and if I may be so bold, ODB's first record was pretty freakin' awesome. That any hip hop made on the list in the first place is a surprise.

Live 8 is irrelevant, so no rant. :D

36 Chambers is number 20, dude. But, yeah.
I would also agree with being confused about STP's second and especially third albums being left off, as well as Pearl Jam's Vs. (their best, IMO).

krabapple

Re: Spin's 100 best in the last 20 years

Postby krabapple » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:09 am

Beatlesfan03 wrote:
MK wrote:At the very least interesting.

It definitely is interesting although personally, I would have liked to have seen My Bloody Valentine in the top 10.

After years of reading about them, I finally bought Loveless few months ago and have so far been ...unimpressed. Is there something/track/moment in particular I shouldl be listening especially for, for enlightenment? Or did the hype kill it for me?
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:34 pm

dudelsack wrote:36 Chambers is number 20, dude. But, yeah.
I would also agree with being confused about STP's second and especially third albums being left off, as well as Pearl Jam's Vs. (their best, IMO).

Shit. I better sign up for that remedial reading course at the Y. :oops:

Tiny Music is a great STP album. Perhaps if Weiland died of heroin overdose, it would've made the list. I don't think many in the industry were expecting him to last as long as he has.
Craig

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:44 pm

krabapple wrote:]After years of reading about them, I finally bought Loveless few months ago and have so far been ...unimpressed. Is there something/track/moment in particular I shouldl be listening especially for, for enlightenment? Or did the hype kill it for me?

Possibly the hype killed it or maybe it just isn't your thing. I've had it since it first came out and it's one record I never tire of. IMHO, one of the best shoegazing records ever made. It's also kind of struck me as the type of record that if you're not in the mood for it, you might not get it. It's rather loud and compressed but I think it adds to it's character.

Strangely enough, one of the reasons why that record gets so much hype is simply because after all the promise of that record, they completely stalled when it came to a follow up scraping two completed attempts. Plus they blew all their advance money from Island UK to build a studio.

Like Pink Floyd reunion rumors, there's always one or two a year that come around stating the new My Bloody Valentine is coming soon. Maybe one day it'll be true.

Maybe shelf it for awhile and come back to it at another time, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Interestingly enough, a friend of mine saw them on the Loveless tour and he said the volume was so loud, his ears hurt for two days after the show.
Last edited by Beatlesfan03 on Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:53 pm

Like Craig, I've owned Loveless since its original release in the fall of '91 and I still can't get enough of it.

Krab, listen to the final track, "Soon," as loud as you can stand it. It may all finally come together for you.

Or you may just think we're all full of shit.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:16 pm

krabapple wrote:
Beatlesfan03 wrote:
MK wrote:At the very least interesting.

It definitely is interesting although personally, I would have liked to have seen My Bloody Valentine in the top 10.

After years of reading about them, I finally bought Loveless few months ago and have so far been ...unimpressed. Is there something/track/moment in particular I shouldl be listening especially for, for enlightenment? Or did the hype kill it for me?

One of the finest records ever made IMO. Try track 4 To Who Knows When. Serveral critics have said that the album sounds like the cover. I have to agree with them. The LP before Loveless, Isn't Anything is just as good.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:23 pm

Agreed that Vs. is a better album than Ten.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:34 pm

I'll second the recommendation of "Isn't Anything." Might be a little easier to take because it's not as in your face as "Loveless."

Also, there was a pre-"Loveless" EP called Glider which has "Soon" which Ess Ay mentioned above. It's a nice little primer for "Loveless."

Hard to pick a favorite song off that record although I'd probably say "Soon" in a pinch.
Craig

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:42 am

Beatlesfan03 wrote:Tiny Music is a great STP album. Perhaps if Weiland died of heroin overdose, it would've made the list. I don't think many in the industry were expecting him to last as long as he has.

And it would have saved us from listening to that dreadful No. 4 album, at least. I haven't heard his solo disc, STP's most recent, or Velvet Revolver, but I can't imagine they're any good, either.

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:13 pm

The last two STP albums are not fantastic, but there's a handful of really good tracks that stand up to the previous material.