Led Zeppelin

Just what the name says.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:45 am

(...waiting for the solution...)

Is there any interest for comparison clips from III? Or do you all trust Phil's and my word that the unremastered CD is the way to go for III?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 am

Andreas wrote:(...waiting for the solution...)

I don't have it here at work, nor do I remember offhand. I'm pretty sure I could tell you by listening, but...

...ok, let's do this. Here's what I'm thinking they are. I'll verify later.

Good Times, Bad Times - original, remaster

You Shook Me - remaster, original

Whole Lotta Love - original, remaster

What Is And What Should Never Be - remaster, original

The Lemon Song - original, remaster

Thank You - remaster, original

I'm about 99.9% sure about that.

Andreas, listen to Thank You again. I can hear a clear difference in the drum sound. I think I'd like something somewhere in between the two, but the original seems really "wooly" to me, to coin a George Martin term.

Also, note that on the remaster, Thank You starts out at full volume - you can hear the hiss right away. On the original the hiss is faded up, making the first few notes harder to hear.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:14 am

lukpac wrote: The order in which you play the clips makes a big difference

It really seems that way. I was able to identify the remaster whenever it was the second sample, but I failed to hear any difference when it was the first sample.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:23 am

I think there's also a matter of what your ears get used to. Listening to the remasters first, that EQ starts to seem "correct", and then when you switch to the originals they seem somewhat muffled. Going the other way, the originals might seem fine, with the remasters being a bit thin or "peaky".

I will say this, in the interest of full disclosure - I jumped back and forth quite a bit while listening. That is to say, I didn't just listen to each clip from end to end. Some things are easier to spot that way.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

balthazar

Postby balthazar » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:09 am

I honestly don't know too much about III.

I'm not sure what you'd go for on it. It's the album that pissed a lot of fans off, because it was so different from LZI and LZII. Only three blues songs on the album: "Since I've Been Loving You" (love it), "Gallows Pole" (a rework of Leadbelly's "Gallis Pole") and "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper" (a rework of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down"). There's a lot more folk influence on the album, and it also includes "Tangerine" which is apparently from Page's Yardbird days.

The album starts with "Immigrant Song." Check out rathergood.com for a cheesy "Viking kitten" animation set to the song. The guy behind the website did some ads for VH1 Classic. The only other really heavy song on the album is "Out on the Tiles," which I happen to like.

I love Over The Hills and Far Away on HOTH, but I can't stand The Rain Song or D'Yer Mak'er. Those two songs make me gag. Don't know much about the rest of the album.

I got sick of "D'Yer Mak'er" in a hurry; I like "The Rain Song." My favorites are "Dancing Days," which has a Moroccan sound to it and "The Ocean," which is very "poppy," bordering on a doo-wop sound. A lot of people like "No Quarter" which is very dark.
"It's great how you can control 60 musicians with one just stick-- I can't control these fuckers with two!" -- Ian Paice

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:23 pm

balthazar wrote:I'm not sure what you'd go for on it. It's the album that pissed a lot of fans off, because it was so different from LZI and LZII. Only three blues songs on the album: "Since I've Been Loving You" (love it), "Gallows Pole" (a rework of Leadbelly's "Gallis Pole") and "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper" (a rework of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down"). There's a lot more folk influence on the album, and it also includes "Tangerine" which is apparently from Page's Yardbird days.

Just so we're all on the same page (heh - page), I don't have any particular love of the blues stuff on I. If I had to make a single album out of I and II, I'd probably do something like this:

Good Times Bad Times
You Shook Me
Your Time Is Gonna Come (without the organ intro)
Communication Breakdown
I Can't Quit You Baby
Whole Lotta Love (somehow edited to about half the length)
What Is And What Should Never Be
The Lemon Song
Thank You
Ramble On

And it was an EP, I'd even break it down to:

Good Times Bad Times
Your Time Is Gonna Come (as above)
Thank You
Ramble On

Ok, so that's a long EP.

balthazar

Postby balthazar » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:56 pm

And it was an EP, I'd even break it down to:

Good Times Bad Times
Your Time Is Gonna Come (as above)
Thank You
Ramble On

Ok, so that's a long EP.

Especially at the lengths of some of those songs.

I'm going to guess, then, that from LZIII you might like "Friends," "Celebration Day," "Tangerine," "That's the Way," and "Bron Yr Aur Stomp."

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if I was not only wrong, but had it all backwards.
"It's great how you can control 60 musicians with one just stick-- I can't control these fuckers with two!" -- Ian Paice

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:04 pm

No idea. I think the only song I know by name is Immigrant Song. Like it, don't love it.

Larkston Zinazpic

Postby Larkston Zinazpic » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:07 pm

You guys are talking about editing I & II, but I'd rather see some major cuts in Physical Graffiti. Did that really need to be a double album?

I actually love Zeppelin's take on the Willie Dixon stuff on I, and there are some live versions of Since I've Been Loving You that is some of the best Blues I've ever heard (bad grammar?), but I can't stand In My Time Of Dying and don't listen to it. Eleven Minutes of blues? There should be a law against that.

Whole Lotta Love is long on II? Seems like a fleeting instant compared to those live versions with the Elvis medley, eesh.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:37 pm

Bring It On Home is my fave on II. I have both an English and original-press (RL) American LP, and they sound fantastic. However, given the number of times I've heard all of these songs...not exactly spinning these guys a lot, shall we say.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:43 pm

I can't stand In My Time Of Dying and don't listen to it. Eleven Minutes of blues? There should be a law against that.

Bite your tongue. "In My Time Of Dying" is one of my favorite Zeppelin tracks, along with everything else on the first disc. It's all about Bonham bashing you into submission. As far as I'm concerned, Physical Graffiti is a killer album with a bonus LP (that has some fine tracks on it as well).

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:45 pm

My beef with WLL is the whole "freak out" section. Or most of it anyway. I generally like the rest of the song.

Larkston Zinazpic

Postby Larkston Zinazpic » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:53 pm

Rspaight wrote:
Bite your tongue. "In My Time Of Dying" is one of my favorite Zeppelin tracks, along with everything else on the first disc. It's all about Bonham bashing you into submission. As far as I'm concerned, Physical Graffiti is a killer album with a bonus LP (that has some fine tracks on it as well).

Ryan

There was once a time when I listened to nothing else but PG, but I got tired of it after awhile. There are some killer tracks on that album I agree, but there is also what I consider a lot of "filler" as well. No offense, but LZ could have accomplished what they needed to in 5 minutes for IMTOD. It gets really redundant when I listen to it now--just my opinion. :)

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:26 pm

Oh, no offense at all. There's no accounting for taste, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. :)

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:47 pm

Rspaight wrote:
I can't stand In My Time Of Dying and don't listen to it. Eleven Minutes of blues? There should be a law against that.

Ryan

The thing about PG is that nearly half of the tracks are outtakes.

- Both The Rover and Houses of the Holy are outtakes from the HOTH sessions
- Night Flight and Down By the Seaside are outtakes from LZ IV
- Bron Yr Aur is from the LZ III sessions
- Boogie w/ Stu is from the Houses sessions. IIRC Black Country Woman is as well..

I LOVE In My Time of Dying. When I listened to that in high school I thought the earth was going to open up and swallow me whole.