Merry-Go-Round/Emitt Rhodes question

Just what the name says.
damianm

Postby damianm » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:51 pm

Xenu wrote:That's "Missing You" from Rhodes Less Travelled. Tell me how it compares, sir.

I wouldn't know how it compares, as I'd never heard anything by this/these guy/s before, but I spent the whole afternoon at work listening to that MP3 on repeat. Thanks for posting it.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:37 pm

I came across the sister thread on SH.tv the other day, and noticed that someone noted that "You're A Lovely Woman" was pulled from The American Dream and replaced with "Saturday Night" when the LP was reissued because someone complained. I didn't mention this earlier, but I guess it's the other way around. The liner notes indicate this, and Steve Stanley confirmed it via e-mail. No idea why "Saturday Night" was pulled.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:38 pm

Xenu wrote:(and I've always been curious as to what "You're a Very Lovely Woman" sounds like in its single incarnation).

Assuming the 45 and mono LP versions are the same, here you go:

You're A Very Lovely Woman (mono)

Not too different from the stereo.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:52 pm

You've acquired a mono LP?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:51 pm

Yes.

Promo even.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:37 pm

Time Will Show The Wiser (mono)

Compare the mastering to the version on either of the "Listen Listen" comps (which I believe are more or less the same).

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:27 am

lukpac wrote:Yes.

Promo even.

I command you to rip this motherfucker.

How much did you pay?
-------------

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:44 am

Xenu wrote:
How much did you pay?

He stole it from a one-legged blind man while beating him with his own cane .

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:59 am

lukpac wrote:Time Will Show The Wiser (mono)

Compare the mastering to the version on either of the "Listen Listen" comps (which I believe are more or less the same).

Unless I'm losing my mind...this LP version sounds like it's sped-up a hair. Either that, or I'm lacking sleep.

And, of course, we know that your TT is running at the correct speed!

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:46 am

Xenu wrote:I command you to rip this motherfucker.

How do you think I posted the clips?

How much did you pay?

It's amazing what $10.49 (+shipping) can get you on eBay.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:48 am

David R. Modny wrote:Unless I'm losing my mind...this LP version sounds like it's sped-up a hair. Either that, or I'm lacking sleep.

I noticed that too, at least compared to the mono CD version. I haven't really compared anything else yet.

And, of course, we know that your TT is running at the correct speed!

Of course.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:39 am

Actually, "Woman" seems to differ quite a bit from the stereo version...more 'verb on the vocals, different "backwards" sections under certain parts of the verses, additionally effects...
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:56 am

The main thing I noticed was (backwards?) percussion during the chorus not there on the stereo (specifically during the "You're a very lovely woman" sections). And a tad bit of added echo, yes.

I'm fairly happy with the sound of that LP. It was surprisingly quiet.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:24 pm

I'm shocked that you got it for so little.

Ebay's really gradually becoming a total cesspool. Half of the CDs listed as just new, commercial merchandise; one quarter of what's left is generally of an, uh, European or Hong Kong piratical origin (seriously! I remember the days when the pirates wanted to keep their operation out of the sight of authorities...now everyone and his mother sells his goods on eBay, as they know nobody cares).

Despite all of this noise, however, the few things I want still manage to sell for far more than I'm ever willing to pay.
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:38 pm

As I've told DRM before, everything seems to be the luck of the draw. It probably helped that this was under "Emmit Rhodes". Even then, though, it all seems to come down to who happens to want something at a certain time. I don't remember the exact timeframe, but last year I got two copies of an OOP LP (at that time not on CD) for not much money, one even being a promo. Not long after another copy - in far worse shape than either of the two I had picked up - went for over $30. Yet a little while later I got a *sealed* copy for not much.