Merry-Go-Round/Emitt Rhodes question

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon May 09, 2005 10:01 pm

Xenu wrote:That's been on CD!

Really, how common is any of this stuff? I guess that one was on the Varese CD, but it seems like most of the Rhodes stuff either never made it to CD, is out of print, or is import only.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue May 10, 2005 1:28 am

The only thing that's truly rare is the Merry Go Round album, which was released twice in Japan. All of Emitt's solo albums have been in print recently, and the Varese comp, while OOP, isn't too hard to find.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am

Xenu wrote:The only thing that's truly rare is the Merry Go Round album, which was released twice in Japan.

Still available?

All of Emitt's solo albums have been in print recently

They have? In my (brief) looking, his first was issued by One Way several years ago, and it's now out of print (and seemingly hard to find). And The American Dream is (currently?) available in Japan. What about the other two?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue May 10, 2005 1:22 pm

lukpac wrote:
Still available?

Nope. Thus the killing I made a while back grabbing 'em off Yahoo Auctions Japan and reselling them on eBay! With the impending release of the Rev-ola comp, though, that's no longer possible.

They have? In my (brief) looking, his first was issued by One Way several years ago, and it's now out of print (and seemingly hard to find). And The American Dream is (currently?) available in Japan. What about the other two?

All of his albums (included S/T) were reissued in Japan in that batch that included American Dream. They're probably OOP by this point (Japanese releases are generally only in print for a short time), but they were available EVERYWHERE, and lots of places still have decent amounts of stock.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Merry-Go-Round/Emitt Rhodes question

Postby lukpac » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:42 am

David R. Modny wrote:After seeing that Rev-Ola has a new, and much needed, Merry-Go-Round comp coming out this week...I have a question.

Amazon seems to be confused:

Availability: This item will be released on July 12, 2005. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

# Audio CD (July 12, 2005)
# Original Release Date: June 21, 2005
# Label: Rev-Ola
# ASIN: B0007XTO5M

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:15 pm

Apparently, it's been delayed. Anybody surprised?
-------------

Leppo

Postby Leppo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:47 pm

Yeah, it looks like it's been pushed back again. Glad, I found a mint, original A&M LP to needle drop in the meantime.
Last edited by Leppo on Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I dig snow and rain and the bright sunshine." - TJ

Leppo

Postby Leppo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:52 pm

David, got an extra A&M Japan CD?
"I dig snow and rain and the bright sunshine." - TJ

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:58 pm

No I don't, sorry. I don't even own an original...I just CDRed it and sent it off.

-D
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:14 am

Xenu wrote:Apparently, it's been delayed. Anybody surprised?

Circuit City has clips up, and I ordered a copy from a local store the other day - they claimed it would be in today. We'll see.

Check out the credits...

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:29 pm

Got one.

Sound notes: Don't have much to compare it to, but Time Will Show The Wiser sounds nearly identical to the MP3 Good-N-Plenty posted with an exception I'll get to in a second. Noise reduction seems to be absent except for Missing You/Highway (both of which seem to be taken from vinyl), California Girls (hidden bonus track which I believe is from a TV broadcast) and - strangely enough - the last few seconds of Time Will Show The Wiser, right channel only. At 2:16 it's like a switch is flipped. No change at all in the left channel (plenty of hiss).

Credits:
Produced for compact disc by: Joe Foster & Steve Stanley
Liner notes & photo research: Steve Stanley
Additional photo research: Alec Palao & Andrew Sandoval
Sound re-creation by: Nick Robbins & Joe Foster at Sound Mastering, London

Booklet: 24 pages if I'm counting correctly (counting both covers). Tons of photos, the MGR LP album cover, both American Dream album covers, extensive liners, and fairly detailed recording/release data (dates, studios and catalog numbers).

Seems nice.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:18 pm

Well, Time Will Show The Wiser stays in perfect sync with Good-N-Plenty's MP3.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:07 am

lukpac wrote:Well, Time Will Show The Wiser stays in perfect sync with Good-N-Plenty's MP3.

Count me shocked. In other words, Rev-ola didn't have any masters at all, and just mastered their comp from stuff that was already out on CD.

I wonder whether they actually used vinyl for "Missing You," or whether they just grokked the audio from "Rhodes Less Travelled."
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:49 am

Well, it's *possible* that UMG sent them the same digital masters they sent whoever did the Japanese CDs (assuming they sent *them* digital masters). Although that seems less likely. Whatever the case, no, it doesn't seem if they did any new A/D transfers. I have to wonder if UMG has masters in their vaults for those mono tracks, California Girls included.

What is "Rhodes Less Travelled"?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:08 am

lukpac wrote:
What is "Rhodes Less Travelled"?

An older, Japanese bootleg. It has an odd variety of things, most of 'em stolen from vinyl (the Japanese Universal CDs weren't out yet). Thing is, it steals the main MGR tracks from the A&M CD, which was--in a roundabout fashion--how I found that the CD existed.
-------------