Merry-Go-Round/Emitt Rhodes question

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:36 pm

I have a feeling everyone here who cares has already heard this, but if not, this is pretty awesome:

Come Ride, Come Ride [45 RPM]
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:27 pm

It's intriguing how frequently Emitt's mono mixes vary overdub-wise from his stereo mixes. Do we feel like these are live-to-mixdown, or do they lurk on some sub-multitrack somewhere?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:59 pm

Xenu wrote:It's intriguing how frequently Emitt's mono mixes vary overdub-wise from his stereo mixes. Do we feel like these are live-to-mixdown, or do they lurk on some sub-multitrack somewhere?

Well, You're A Very Lovely Woman just seems like a mixing difference - the stereo does have the percussion in some places.

No idea on Time Will Show The Wiser. Live to mono would certainly explain the missing drums in stereo, but that would also mean the drums would have been added *last*, which makes no sense. I seem to recall that being an 8-track recording.

Come Ride, Come Ride - I'm assuming mixing difference again. Getting rid of those vocals makes it a bit less M-G-Rish, which would fit with a ER solo release. I suppose you never know, but that seems to be the case to me. At least that *proves* it wasn't "sweetened" for the American Dream release. DRM also pointed out it's slightly cluttered with the added vocals (although I like it)...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re:

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 am

lukpac wrote:No idea on Time Will Show The Wiser. Live to mono would certainly explain the missing drums in stereo, but that would also mean the drums would have been added *last*, which makes no sense. I seem to recall that being an 8-track recording.

The drums are on the promo stereo 45 mix, so it was apparently just a mixing decision to omit them for the stereo LP. Oddly, the percussion that *is* on the stereo LP mix (and mono mix) is mixed out of the promo stereo 45 mix. All pretty strange.