Merry-Go-Round/Emitt Rhodes question

Just what the name says.
David R. Modny

Merry-Go-Round/Emitt Rhodes question

Postby David R. Modny » Wed May 04, 2005 5:53 pm

After seeing that Rev-Ola has a new, and much needed, Merry-Go-Round comp coming out this week...I have a question.

Has "Time Will Show The Wiser" ever appeared in true stereo? I have the Varese Rhodes comp - where it has the "45 version" (mono). The new MGR disc apparently has both the "45" & "album" version on it. Are they different mixes entirely or is the original album version just a stereo mix of the single? I don't own the debut MGR LP so I'm not sure how it existed there.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed May 04, 2005 7:31 pm

Yes, it has appeared in stereo. It was likely on the debut LP, and it's certainly on the not-that-hard-to-find-and-will-likely-get-easier-to-find-AND-it-sounds-great Japanese A&M CD. It's a wiiideee stereo mix of the single performance. Want I should MP3 it forya?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Wed May 04, 2005 7:42 pm

Xenu wrote:Yes, it has appeared in stereo. It was likely on the debut LP, and it's certainly on the not-that-hard-to-find-and-will-likely-get-easier-to-find-AND-it-sounds-great Japanese A&M CD. It's a wiiideee stereo mix of the single performance. Want I should MP3 it forya?

By all means...MP3! Ya' anywhere near those two Gene Clark/Byrds '70 mixes we talked about a few weeks back? If so, I'd love a listen.

I've been staying with a friend during these past few illness months. So the stray charity MP3 that floats my way is pretty much the basis of my listening these days!

If you're able...just up 'em to LP's server and email me the link dmodny@cox.net

TIA
Last edited by David R. Modny on Sat May 07, 2005 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed May 04, 2005 7:53 pm

Which Byrds '70s mixes? You missed my at-home window...I might have *some* of the stuff up here, but not all of it.

So I have two different CDRs of the ER material. One was on a twofer with Days of Future Passed, of all things, and another is on something I made called "The Complete ER Collection," which seems to be (more or less) exactly what Rev-Ola is putting out. Odd.

As with the exception of "Missing You," this has all been on CD before, I wonder whether they've done new mastering?

Anyway, MP3 is at:
http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/mgr.mp3

(note I didn't even penalize you for asking the same question at sh.tv)

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Wed May 04, 2005 8:05 pm

Xenu wrote:Which Byrds '70s mixes? You missed my at-home window...I might have *some* of the stuff up here, but not all of it.

"She's the Kind of Girl" & "One in a Hundred." No biggie, if not.

I think it might have been my evil troll twin who posted on that subject... come to think of it.

Follow-up: I just listened to the posted stereo mix. Pretty interesting, fidelity-wise, but I think I like the cohesiveness of the mono mix better - everything just gels together better for me. Still...this was quite cool. Kinda that "listening to the multi-tracks" experience!

Thanks again!

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu May 05, 2005 12:22 am

Ahh, fuck. I totally forgot, sorry. I'll grab them next pass..:-(

Any other MP3s from the MGR set requested?
-------------

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Thu May 05, 2005 3:06 pm

Xenu wrote:Ahh, fuck. I totally forgot, sorry. I'll grab them next pass..:-(

Any other MP3s from the MGR set requested?

Hell...anything. I'd be interested in hearing the sound quality of your sources. "Til the Day After," "Come Ride, Come Ride," "On Your Way Out" are some of my favorites.

Again...thanks for your generosity!

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu May 05, 2005 7:56 pm

Should I just shoot you a CDR?

-D
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu May 05, 2005 8:01 pm

So what CD did you take that from?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Leppo

Postby Leppo » Thu May 05, 2005 9:44 pm

Yes, I'd like to know too. Thanks for posting Time Will Show The Wiser, David.

Do you plan to get Listen Listen: The Definitive Collection?
"I dig snow and rain and the bright sunshine." - TJ

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri May 06, 2005 4:10 am

I took it from a homebrew CDR of mine, which is in turn taken from "Listen Listen: The Best of Emitt Rhodes" (or whatever the heck the Varese comp is called), "You're a Very Lovely Woman/Live" (Japanese A&M disc) and "American Dreamer" (Japanese Universal disc).

I'd like to point out again that barring "Missing You," I'm pretty sure this has all been on CD before. ANd why "Time Will Show the Wiser" in its single mix? That's been on CD! What about the '45 mixen of "Live" and "You're a Very Lovely Woman?"

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri May 06, 2005 7:57 am

Xenu wrote:ANd why "Time Will Show the Wiser" in its single mix?

I love that stereo mix, but as DRM pointed out, it is a bit bare without the drums.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Fri May 06, 2005 10:58 am

For me it goes beyond the drums. I think the balance between the vocals and the backing tracks gel better on the mono mix. The vocals sound a bit "naked" on the stereo mix - particularly on the final line.

Still cool to hear in stereo...

David - that CDR will be great. Here's my current address (i.e. don't use the old one).

591 Azalea Circle
Northfield, OH 44067

Thanks again!
Dave

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri May 06, 2005 2:04 pm

lukpac wrote:
Xenu wrote:ANd why "Time Will Show the Wiser" in its single mix?

I love that stereo mix, but as DRM pointed out, it is a bit bare without the drums.

Well, yes. What I'm saying is that the single mix has been available before, whereas there're a few single mixes that we haven't seen on CD yet (and I've always been curious as to what "You're a Very Lovely Woman" sounds like in its single incarnation).

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri May 06, 2005 2:06 pm

Maybe they aren't that different?