Hawkwind

Just what the name says.
Ess Ay Cee Dee

Hawkwind

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:45 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:25 pm

I'd like to help you, but I have most of their albums on vinyl only. I never bothered to upgrade, even though I like the group very much. Space Ritual supposedly sounds superb on the UK reissue, but I haven't heard it.

Those CDs must sound way better than the vinyl pressings I have.

sjc

Postby sjc » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:02 pm

I like the EMI remasters. They do a good job of reproducing the original somewhat complex artwork and include some key bonus tracks. As far as comparing them to the "One Way's" sonically, I think they are somewhat of an improvement but I haven't done any serious a/b comparisons. For what it's worth I think Peter Mew oversaw the remasters, but I really don't mind his work. Early Hawkwind is somewhat of a sonic "sausage" in that you really don't want to see how it was made. For many of their early albums, live tracks served as the starting point, with all sorts of studio overdubs.... I would suggest you start with Space Ritual. It includes the classic line up with Robert Calvert and Lemmy and gives you a good starting point for deciding what albums to pick up later. Next choice would be Do Re Mi or In Search of Space..... steve c

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:29 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:45 pm

I can do some comparisons on Doremi between the One Way and the EMI remaster, if I remember to bring them to work.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Fri May 13, 2005 3:36 pm

I borrowed my friend's copy of the One Way US CD (CDLL 57475) to compare to the EMI UK CD from 2001 (7243 5 30031 2 8 ), which I believe is the same mastering as the 1996 digipak.

Good bonus tracks on the EMI UK - Urban Guerilla is a must-have, and Brainbox Pollution isn't bad either. One Way doesn't have these.

As to the mastering:
The two discs emphasize different parts of the music well, I think. The One Way emphasizes the thump of the rhythm section better, I think (though don't kid yourself - the drums still sound like cardboard, lost in the mix). Everything hangs well together, but it's not at all clear, for people who like lots of definition.

The EMI has much more high end, not to the point of headache, though. The drums are brought out a lot, but don't sound very natural, which makes me think there was some radical EQ going on (but that's a theory, obviously - they sound very phlange-y, which could be an effect of some sort that you don't hear in the mix on the One Way, given the murkiness). The acoustic guitars and wierd synth effects are also brought out somewhat radically on the EMI.
There is a wierd thing going on with the EMI in that it seems to be unbalanced in favor of the left channel, slightly, but I suppose it could just be me. Sometimes when this happens, it's my brain telling me that the stereo channels are reversed. I didn't compare enough to figure that out.

I think either version of this album will satisfy; for those who like definition and want to emphasize the psychedelic aspect of the album, the EMI is where it's at. If you want the basic thumping goodness of the Lemmy-anchored rhythm section, the One Way is probably a better bet. But both CDs present the album decently enough.