Elton John (Best CD's)

Just what the name says.
Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:15 am

Ahhh...see what I get for trying to pretend that I have E.S.P.?

Funny thing is, I went back and listened to the Japanese disc a week or two ago for probably the first time in a year...and was somewhat underwhelmed. I actually thought it was better than this in my memories. In fact, some of the tracks almost sound like a Dolby playback of a non-encoded Dolby tape! "I Need You To Turn To" sounded like a wool Dolby blanket over my ears on the day I listened. So who knows?

Anyway...I'm not so sure I would recommend this anymore based on my recent adventure. I think part of the attraction of this disc for me was the fact that it was simply *different* in its sonic character. But, now I'm not so sure that's a good thing. Perhaps the UK/Polydor clone *is* the way to go...

I know...I'm waffling.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:10 am

I have acquired the DCC Elton John Greatest Hits and compared it to my DJM CDs and the MFSL Honky Chateau (of which I don't have the DJM).

The pattern is that the DCC has a pronounced lower midrange for bass and drums for the songs from the albums GBYBR, DSMITPP and Caribou compared to the DJM CDs. With one exception (Candle In The Wind) I prefer this fuller and also warmer sound. The DJM CDs sound a bit more open, but at the expense of the bass and drums, which are a bit thin. On Candle In The Wind, the bass on the DCC is kind of overwhelming, and the DJM sounds more open and balanced. Depending on your preferences, one could also describe of the DCC as a bit veiled, but not in a bad way.

The two songs from Honky Chateau sound virtually identical on the DCC and on the MFSL.

The two songs from the album "Elton John" are a completely different matter. Here, the DCC sounds a lot more open and natural, while the DJM is a bit restrained and veiled. The drums on the DJM are unclear and thin compared to the DCC, but the vocals are also not as lifelike.

The Dolby question (with respect to the Elton John DJM) arises again...

JWB

Postby JWB » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:52 am

Same findings here. I didn't find the differences between the DJM and DCC and MFSL to be particularly dramatic. Some albums sound a tad different, some extra bass here, some added treble there..and others sound identical to me. They all sound like they use the same tapes. I was surprised at how similar the "Piano Player" DJM is to the DCC. I expected to hear more hiss and dropouts in the DJM "Daniel" but they're virtually identical. For the self-titled, are you talking about the West German or UK DJM? They're different masterings. I have the West German and I think it sounds pretty close to the DCC. I wonder if Steve knows the story about the alternate "Sixty Years On"?

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:01 pm

I was speaking about the West German DJM "Elton John". I don't think the two common tracks with the DCC sound identical. Concentrate on the drums and you'll hear what I mean.

Yes, the differences are not dramatic, but the only tracks that sound indstinguishable are Honkey Cat and Rocket Man on the DCC and the MFSL.

The DJM Tumbleweed has some annoying dropouts, on several tracks. I wonder how the MFSL compares...

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:26 pm

Here's some samples that Luke transferred for me. They're taken from a '77 UK DJM pressing of the S/T '70 EJ album. Vinyl's not in the best of shape, but some might still want to hear these for comparison's sake.

http://www.lukpac.org/dave/The%20Cage.mp3

http://www.lukpac.org/dave/I%20Need%20Y ... n%20To.mp3

http://www.lukpac.org/dave/Sixty%20Years%20On.mp3

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:23 pm

Here are three comparison files. I only edited and normalized, of course. Please comment about the sound quality, eq choices, and if you want, guess the sources.

Candle In The Wind: http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=15M2 ... ROT19GKM15
GBYBR: http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0SS4 ... 7A2K5VCA7N
Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting: http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1WGL ... NO1IB33IN5

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:22 pm

Has anyone compared versions of the Lady Samantha rarities CD?
(DJM versus Polydor)

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:07 am

Have we ever completed the DJM vs MCA vs Polydor comparisons?

From what I have read, nobody here has compared the DJM CDs of Madman, Don't Shoot and Captain Fantastic against the others. I could upload some sample from those three if somebody is interested in comparing to the MCA or Polydor.

What is your impression of Captain Fantastic, Polydor (which I suspect of being the same as the DJM, but we will see) versus MCA? Some have said that the MCA is better than the DJM in this case. I personally find the DJM thin and a bit bright, similar to GBYBR.

Lastly, have any of you ever heard the DJM GH Vol.2? A very strange CD, with an exaggerated booming bass and a lacking midrange. A completely different mastering approach compared to the other DJM CDs.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:53 am

Dave might not be available for awhile.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:48 am

I just received the MFSL Madman and compared it to the DJM. The only difference I seem to notice is upper midrange, of which the DJM has more. It gives the album more life, but it also thins the drum sound, in my opinion. I am not sure which I prefer at the moment.

A typical review of the MFSL:
The MFSL suffers from low volume and extreme midrange suck-out. The DJM that I own has the midrange where it should be in the mix and not backed down from the top and bottom ends like the MFSL.

I don't like using the term, but it's one of the MFSLs for which I would resort to the "smiley-face EQ" description

the MFSL suffers from a glaring and obvious midrange deficit; in comparison, the MCA (I have the old yellow-spined one with the full artwork) sounds quite well-balanced.

Here is what Steve says about this one:
HOWEVER, the earlier MoFi CD's, before they started EQ'ing everything to me are the keepers of a lifetime. Even if some of them don't sound so hot, like "Madman Across The Water".

Why do I like those? Because they are flat transfers.

Yes, MADMAN tape does indeed sound just like the MoFi CD. The fact that it is not a good recording for me is beside the point. The MoFi version did the least damage to the fragile sound of the original tapes. The DJM version is boosted in several EQ areas. It sounds ok but I want to hear what the actual tapes sound like, not some mastering engineer's take on what they should sound like. Of course, that's just me; I'm fascinated by the real deal, even if the real deal sounds less than optimum.

The key question: Is a flat transfer from a dull tape necessarily bad?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:41 am

Andreas wrote:The key question: Is a flat transfer from a dull tape necessarily bad?

It's whatever you want it to be, baby.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:22 am

lukpac wrote:It's whatever you want it to be, baby.

Are you saying that imagination and auto-suggestion are the major parts of such discussions? Probably yes...but you surely noticed that some of the quotes above totally contradict each other (with respect to facts!).

MFSL cannot at the same time
1. transfer the dull tape flat as it is, and
2. suck the life out of it by applying smiley-faced eq.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:28 am

All you need to know, my friend, are the words "mid-range suck out".

MK

Postby MK » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:16 am

Dude, when you're talking about audiophiles who don't know shit about mastering but pretend to know everything the mastering engineer did out of pure speculation, EXPECT contradictions.

At least Hoffman had SOME exposure to Elton John's master tapes from this era. I'd find him more reliable than some guy who's never stepped foot in a mastering suite.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:26 pm

MK wrote:At least Hoffman had SOME exposure to Elton John's master tapes from this era. I'd find him more reliable than some guy who's never stepped foot in a mastering suite.

Absolutely true.

On the other hand, "Your Songs" (MCAD-31016, mastered from MCA safety copies by Steve) is clearly worse than all the MFSL and DJM CDs I have heard, surprisingly bright, very hissy, screeching vocals, tinny drums, and in one case, a half tone higher in pitch! This CD should best be ignored.

I think I prefer the DJM Madman over the MFSL, extreme eq or not, it simply sounds more lifelike.