Nirvana - Reading Festival 8/30/92 DVD - where can I find?

Just what the name says.
MK

Nirvana - Reading Festival 8/30/92 DVD - where can I find?

Postby MK » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:19 pm

Nirvana
08- 30- 1992
Richfield Aveneue (Reading Festival), Reading, UK

Last week, easytree.org was shut down, and from what I heard, it was because someone put up the recently-discovered, COMPLETE video of Nirvana's last UK concert ever, the one at Reading Festival, 8/30/92, and that somehow set off a chain of events that led to the shutdown of the entire site. The story sounds like B.S., but the DVD really was up. Unfortunately, I didn't find out until it was too late.

Does anybody know where else I can get this?
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

JWB

Postby JWB » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:41 am

Someone from EZTree administration has been telling people that Universal indeed had the site shut down because of the Reading '92 DVD.

As a result, none of the "replacement" sites are allowing Nirvana torrents!

This has the Nirvana community up in arms, epecially since the "higher ups" sternly disallowed the Reading show to be uploaded (it surfaced on eBay!), out of fear of pissing off Universal. Someone ignored them and uploaded it anyway, and I believe this person is being sternly chastized/excommunicated from the Nirvana community.

I have a copy coming through snail mail in a month or so. Your best bet is to go to livenirvana.com and make friends with somebody in the forums.

Gee Oh Are Tea

Postby Gee Oh Are Tea » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:11 am

For anyone who is a member of Easytree and doesn't know yet, it has resurfaced at:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-browse.php

(you may only be able to access this link if you're a member, I'm not sure).

I actually was going to download the Nirvana Reading show but after reading through the posts it seemed there was someone sort of problem and a fix was on the way. So I never got around to it.

Easytree has usually been quite strict about what is uploaded, which is why one often has to access other sites for things that are rejected there. One such example is the 10-disc Beatles' Anthology Directors Cut.

Cliff

MK

Postby MK » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:48 pm

That sucks. They ought to release it officially - Courtney could use the money, right (court costs, rehab, etc.)?

I might try that forum, though.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:05 pm

MK wrote:That sucks. They ought to release it officially - Courtney could use the money, right (court costs, rehab, etc.)?

I might try that forum, though.

I know I'm in the minority but I think that show is way overrated. There are MUCH better Nirvana shows than that...

Gee Oh Are Tea

Postby Gee Oh Are Tea » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:27 am

Chris M wrote:I know I'm in the minority but I think that show is way overrated. There are MUCH better Nirvana shows than that...

I think it's one of those shows that has attained "legendary" status moreso for historical reasons (i.e. final show in the UK) rather than quality of performance. Other such examples are the Beatles' Candlestick show in 1966, the Stones at Altamont, Hendrix at the Isle of Wight, etc.

Cliff

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:40 am

Gee Oh Are Tea wrote:
Chris M wrote:I know I'm in the minority but I think that show is way overrated. There are MUCH better Nirvana shows than that...

I think it's one of those shows that has attained "legendary" status moreso for historical reasons (i.e. final show in the UK) rather than quality of performance. Other such examples are the Beatles' Candlestick show in 1966, the Stones at Altamont, Hendrix at the Isle of Wight, etc.

Cliff

I agree.

JWB

Postby JWB » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:10 am

Gee Oh Are Tea wrote:I think it's one of those shows that has attained "legendary" status moreso for historical reasons (i.e. final show in the UK) rather than quality of performance. Other such examples are the Beatles' Candlestick show in 1966, the Stones at Altamont, Hendrix at the Isle of Wight, etc.

Right. Plus they stretched out and played a few rarities, which they usually didn't do at all. It also ends with an exclusive "Star Spangled Banner" destruction-fest that is unmatched in it's ridiculousness.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:15 am

JWB wrote:
Gee Oh Are Tea wrote:I think it's one of those shows that has attained "legendary" status moreso for historical reasons (i.e. final show in the UK) rather than quality of performance. Other such examples are the Beatles' Candlestick show in 1966, the Stones at Altamont, Hendrix at the Isle of Wight, etc.

Right. Plus they stretched out and played a few rarities, which they usually didn't do at all. It also ends with an exclusive "Star Spangled Banner" destruction-fest that is unmatched in it's ridiculousness.

Yeah, that SSB is pretty ridiculous. So what is your favorite Nirvana show?

JWB

Postby JWB » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:22 am

I've always enjoyed 1-23-93 Rio. It's not the greatest performance technically, but it's a very fun show. They act like dicks though the whole show. They come out in lingerie for the encore. Kurt bursts a water balloon between his legs and comments that his water broke.

The same goes for 10-30-92 Buenos Aries. The audience threw bottles and chanted "whores" at the all-female opening act so Nirvana gave them one of the worst performances of all time, playing the into to "Teen Spirit" over and over and intentionally fucking up songs and not bothering to tune.

The two 1991 shows that were recorded & mixed by Andy Wallace are great.

The first Seattle show with Dave Grohl is also a lot of fun. The PA and the recording are mediocre, but the setlist is like no other show and they play for a very long time....so long that the recording cuts off! They play some "Bleach" songs that are the only recorded versions with Grohl.

Do you have any of those?

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:30 am

I have your 10/30/92 reconstruction, I had 1/23/93 years ago but I can't find it anymore. I love 12/28/91 but I think 10/31/91 is a tad overrated although Jesus, Neg Creep and Rape Me are outstanding. My favorite show is 3/8/91 - the energy level is just off the chart. I like some of the 8/91 shows too. I don't have Dave's first Seattle show. What's the best '92 live recording of Swap Meet with Dave?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

JWB

Postby JWB » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:14 am

Probably 6-26-92 Roskilde, Denmark. I have that show too. They play "Scoff" as well.

6-27-92 Turku is basically the same set, and the Nirvana guide gives it the same sound rating as Roskilde. I've never heard it though.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:42 am

JWB wrote:Probably 6-26-92 Roskilde, Denmark. I have that show too. They play "Scoff" as well.

6-27-92 Turku is basically the same set, and the Nirvana guide gives it the same sound rating as Roskilde. I've never heard it though.

Cool. Thanks. I think I have 6/26/92 but I'm not sure...