The "best" Grateful Dead show ever - download FREE

Just what the name says.
MK

The "best" Grateful Dead show ever - download FREE

Postby MK » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:49 am

I'm not a big fan of the Grateful Dead. I have the Rhino re-issues of the two country-rock albums and "Live Dead," but that's about all the Dead I ever listen to (BTW, the re-issues are some of Rhino's best).

Well, a long time ago, Entertainment Weekly compiled a list of 100 Greatest Moments in Rock, or something like that. It was a poorly conceived list, but the Grateful Dead entry was interesting because it pegged the May 8, 1977 show as the greatest Dead show ever. I bring it up because I ran across this link:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-deta ... p?id=12279

You can download the WHOLE show either in mp3 or SHN format (depending on your connection) and burn it yourself, FREE. I'm pretty sure there's a better Dead site(s) somewhere that has that show, too, but I'm giving this link because this is the best quality you'll ever get on this show. The same site has another tape archived that's an audience recording, but the link I posted is excellent, early generation soundboard, surprisingly well-mixed. It even cuts in some audience tape bits for segues and starts, though it could've done a better job with that.

Anyway, if you're into boot collecting or want to start, this would be nice to have. It's three discs long.

BTW, there's also a text file of the setlist and information on the tape source, mix, and transfer.

seth

Postby seth » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:17 pm

Cool! That was my freshman year in college. I'm sure I had friends who went to that show. I didn't attend Cornell, but I did visit there that year and joined a high school buddy at a show in Barton Hall, not the Dead, but Linda Ronstadt.