King Crimson - Red

Just what the name says.
Patrick M

King Crimson - Red

Postby Patrick M » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:53 pm

Could some kind soul please provide me a .cue sheet for the 30th anniversary edition? Please?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:25 am

will this do? I just generated it with EAC.

Code: Select all

CATALOG 0724384993726
PERFORMER "King Crimson"
TITLE "Red"
FILE "Range.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Red"
    PERFORMER "King Crimson"
    ISRC GBCTX0000133
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Fallen Angel"
    PERFORMER "King Crimson"
    ISRC GBCTX0000134
    INDEX 01 06:16:50
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "One More Red Nightmare"
    PERFORMER "King Crimson"
    ISRC GBCTX0000135
    INDEX 00 12:15:47
    INDEX 01 12:20:05
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Providence"
    PERFORMER "King Crimson"
    ISRC GBCTX0000136
    INDEX 00 19:27:02
    INDEX 01 19:30:15
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Starless"
    PERFORMER "King Crimson"
    ISRC GBCTX0000137
    INDEX 00 27:35:50
    INDEX 01 27:40:47
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

John Buchanan

Postby John Buchanan » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:44 am

..and isn't it a great album. I especially like Starless - the middle section where Bill Bruford goes berserk is superb. It sounds better than I remember the Island UK vinyl also.
John Buchanan

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:25 am

Incredible album. Bill's drums benefited the most from the 1999 remaster. I'm glad to hear that the '99 CD sounds better than the Island UK vinyl.

Considering Simon Heyworth's reputation in certain circles, I myself really like what he's done for the King Crimson catalogue. The latest In the Court of the Crimson King Original Master sounds fantastic! Once again, the drums showed the largest improvement, the various hi hat, crash and ride cymbals sound very life-like. This is the only way to hear this album, and I've listened to a lot of different versions of this classic, including the Mobile Fidelity. It does help that they found the original masters, because the improvement is immediately noticeable when the music starts.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:31 am

krab, could you post a 'track by track' version? Thanks!

I have seen the Bears a couple of times. They will launch into "Red" in the middle of their set. The first time that happened, I freaked and the crowd went wild.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:47 pm

IMO Red is overrated, though the 1999 remaster sounds the nicest of the versions I've owned. 'Starless and Bible Black' is that band's best one, though.

I'll try to remember to do a track by track CUE tonight.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:46 pm

Patrick,

I don't normally do cue files, so this one might be wrong too. I used the
'Multiple WAV files with Gaps (noncompliant)" option of EAC.
Other multiple wav options were 'Leftout' and 'Corrected' gaps.

Code: Select all

CATALOG 0724384993726
PERFORMER "King Crimson"
TITLE "Red"
FILE "01 - Red.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Red"
    PERFORMER "King Crimson"
    ISRC GBCTX0000133
FILE "02 - Fallen Angel.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Fallen Angel"
    PERFORMER "King Crimson"
    ISRC GBCTX0000134
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "One More Red Nightmare"
    PERFORMER "King Crimson"
    ISRC GBCTX0000135
    INDEX 00 05:58:72
FILE "03 - One More Red Nightmare.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Providence"
    PERFORMER "King Crimson"
    ISRC GBCTX0000136
    INDEX 00 07:06:72
FILE "04 - Providence.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Starless"
    PERFORMER "King Crimson"
    ISRC GBCTX0000137
    INDEX 00 08:05:35
FILE "05 - Starless.wav" WAVE

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:04 pm

That works. Thanks.

MK

Postby MK » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:01 pm

The incarnation that made "Red" is still the best, IMO. There were some great live documents of that period, but I'm not sure if they've all been issued on CD or are still in-print.

"Red" and "Lark's Tongue In Aspic" are the two best, but "Red" is the one I listen to the most.

"Discipline" from the later group is also up there. The debut is also good, but I don't like it as much as others. Some say the debut's the best, I think it even topped a fan poll.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:06 pm

I'm big on LTIA and Discipline. I only like parts of Court. I never got into Starless, but I like Red.

Do you guys like Wetton's vocals?

MK

Postby MK » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:22 am

Acquired taste. The vocals on KC albums have never knocked me out. I guess Belew's are the most distinguished, with the strong David Byrne resemblance.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:34 pm

Eww. I like Belew's least of all, except maybe for Gordon Haskell's.

I like the quirks of Wetton's voice. But he did veer well off into self-parody by the time Bruford and Holdworth left UK. That said, my favorite KC tracks are instrumentals -- 'Fracture', 'Asbury Park',
etc. The guy was a MONSTROUS bass player.

Dob

Postby Dob » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:00 pm

MK wrote:The incarnation that made "Red" is still the best, IMO.

Interesting comment. Although the official lineup at that time was just a trio (Fripp/Wetton/Bruford), I'm assuming that you're including the ex members that helped out on Red (Cross/Collins/McDonald).

Although Bruford is one of my favorite all time drummers, I think Michael Giles' work is extraordinary on the debut album and tops anything Bruford subsequently did with KC. Plus, I love that distinctive "ultra crisp" tone of Giles' snare. For lead vocals, I'd take Lake over Wetton...and Sinfield's lyrics over Palmer-James'.
Some say the debut's the best...

It gets my vote. The Mirrors section of Schizoid Man is the best jazz rock fusion I've ever heard, by far. I just wish they would have abbreviated the extended noodling/improv section of Moonchild.
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:29 pm

Dob wrote:It gets my vote. The Mirrors section of Schizoid Man is the best jazz rock fusion I've ever heard, by far. I just wish they would have abbreviated the extended noodling/improv section of Moonchild.

Something about "I Talk to the Wind" just grates on me.

That s/t UK album is fantastic.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:05 pm

Dob wrote:
MK wrote:The incarnation that made "Red" is still the best, IMO.

Interesting comment. Although the official lineup at that time was just a trio (Fripp/Wetton/Bruford), I'm assuming that you're including the ex members that helped out on Red (Cross/Collins/McDonald).

Although Bruford is one of my favorite all time drummers, I think Michael Giles' work is extraordinary on the debut album and tops anything Bruford subsequently did with KC. Plus, I love that distinctive "ultra crisp" tone of Giles' snare. For lead vocals, I'd take Lake over Wetton...and Sinfield's lyrics over Palmer-James'.
Some say the debut's the best...

It gets my vote. The Mirrors section of Schizoid Man is the best jazz rock fusion I've ever heard, by far. I just wish they would have abbreviated the extended noodling/improv section of Moonchild.

On some of the anthologies/surveys/compilations Fripp produced in the last few years (and who can keep track of all the archival KC releases anyway?), the 'improv' section of Moonchild has been edited out.

Personally, the debut album mostly bores the crap out of me except for 'Schizoid Man'. Giles' drums do sound fab though.
Last edited by krabapple on Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.