Mark Linett on Pet Sounds

Just what the name says.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:48 am

lukpac wrote:
Andreas wrote:Mark Linett has made mistakes on message boards before.

I'm sure Steve has made far more...

About his own projects? Tell me.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:51 am

lukpac wrote:Isn't the story that certain intros were spliced on from new mixes from the multis?

That was reported about Pet Sounds (1990 CD). It is possible for other songs on the box set.

However, judging from the Sea Of Tunes Unsurpassed Masters series, those multitrack tapes also have their (moderate) share of hiss. But it is certainly possible that a straight remix leads to something so lifeless as those intros.

But if it is true, that many intros on the box set are remixed, I have more reservations against that release than ever.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:24 am

Andreas wrote:About his own projects? Tell me.

I'd rather not get into (or try to recall) all the ugly details, but there were certainly a few times where he was "sure" of something which turned out not to be true.

Ok, the one example I *will* use is the old "I'd *never* use a stereo head on a mono tape" line. I seem to remember that one transforming a number of times, but it finally came to a head when it was shown that the Buddy Holly disc was indeed done that way. I'm inclined to believe Mark, since he's handled those tapes more often and more recently than Steve, but then again, who knows?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:45 am

If you believe Steve, then you imply that Mark is in error. If you believe Mark, then you imply that Steve is lying. That is a difference.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:05 am

For all I know, they are both wrong. I'm not going to speculate on the motives of either to stand behind their stories, since I really have no idea what either has to gain.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:16 am

Fact is, God Only Knows does have more bass on the DCC than on Made In USA. Not much, but some. They can't be both flat transfers.

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:44 am

After reading all the stories, I don't know who to believe. This is one strange game Hoffman and Linett are playing. Of course, neither side wants to lose, there's way too much pride and ego on the line.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:18 pm

and besides, Pet Sounds sucks.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Sound

Postby Sound » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:43 pm

That's a given.

Sound

Postby Sound » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:43 pm

Oh shit...That's a thread crap.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:02 pm

Great, now Krab's gonna break out the big picture of the turd again.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

My Avatar Is A Hot Babe

Postby My Avatar Is A Hot Babe » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:22 pm

Andreas wrote:Fact is, God Only Knows does have more bass on the DCC than on Made In USA. Not much, but some. They can't be both flat transfers.

Frankly my dear, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Both "Made in the USA" and the DCC "Pet Sounds" are FLAT transfers. They are IDENTICAL. This PROVES that STEVE did not futz with the master tape in ANY way.

That's why the DCC sounds SO good. It sounds EXACTLY like "Made in the USA", which sounds EXACTLY like the master tape. There is absolutely NO difference. NONE. None at ALL. ABSOLUTELY none. ZERO difference.

But don't take my word for it. Compare for yourself. Don't forget to adjust the "Made in the USA" +2.5dB so you can tell that they are EXACTLY the same.

Case closed.
Every month is "Teabag a Gort" month!

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:57 pm

Andreas wrote:However, Andrew Sandoval has written that Linett requested noise reduction on the Surf's Up remaster (2000). (I wonder why Andrew fulfilled this request, though.)

Because he didn't want to be fired maybe?

Has Linett ever expressed anything but criticism for any Beach Boys CD project which he was not involved in? And he always invokes Brian to give his opinions more weight... "Brian didn't like it", "Brian did not approve that version." I'm sure Mark tells Brian exactly what to think... there are people under post-hypnotic suggestion who are less pliant and agreeable than Brian Wilson at present.

As I've said before, I think Hoffman is more credible on this particular issue. And regardless, the DCC version does sound better to me.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:00 am

Rspaight wrote:Great, now Krab's gonna break out the big picture of the turd again.

Ryan

Not necessary!

http://www.tiffstoys.com/humungous%20butt%20plug.jpg
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:33 am

Could you guys *PLEASE* post images like that as links?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.