Prince Goes in All Directions on New Album

Just what the name says.
mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:10 am

The title of this article says it all. That it's datelined Nashville, is all the more confusing !

If ANYONE cares, anymore, about this guy, Prince is one of those problematic artists, that started out with so much promise, went "independent", and took himself out of being an interesting, promising Artist, that no one seems to care for anymore...and justifiably !

The live cds are there to marvel and then, lament over. Just another self-inflicted victim of his ego, is all I can think of to describe him.

Courtesy of Reuters...

Tue June 17, 2003 05:31 PM ET

NASHVILLE (Billboard) - Prince will unveil a new studio album, "N.E.W.S.," on Thursday to members of his NPG Music Club Web site. It is not known if the set will be made available to traditional retail outlets.
The disc features four songs -- "North," "East" "West" and "South" -- each of which is 14 minutes long. NPG members can also preview three songs from the DVD "Prince Live at the Aladdin Las Vegas," due later this year.

"N.E.W.S." is Prince's first studio release since "The Rainbow Children," which in December 2001 hit No. 4 on Billboard's Top Independent Albums chart and No. 109 on The Billboard 200. The album was made available in stores via a distribution deal with Best Buy's now-defunct Redline label.

Prince is the subject of a recent biography, "Possessed: The Rise and Fall of Prince," by Alex Hahn.

Reuters/Billboard

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jht ... ID=2944831

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:14 am

I wonder if this is Prince's "Metal Machine Music" or his "Tales From Topographic Oceans."

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:25 am

He lost me after "Sign of the Times".

As a live artist, he still may have his chops, but it doesnt matter anymore, as he has cosigned his appreciation, soley, to his internet fan base.

Taking himself out of the running, in the retail bins, like he did, was his Death as a meaningful artist.

Grant

Postby Grant » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:26 am

I lost interest after his 1992 album "Diamonds and Pearls", although "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" was his last great single.

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:37 pm

I loved his "Small Club" live recording. He was at his peak, and wasn't overwelmed by a large audience !

I think he feels himself trapped, artisically, because it's so easy crank out stuff for a captive audience (his internet fans), and not have any idea of what quality it REALLY is. He is the perfect example of an artist that needs the demands of the marketplace, to keep him in line.