Stones Comp Mania!

Just what the name says.
Rspaight

Stones Comp Mania!

Postby Rspaight » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:28 pm

I think we've now officially reached the point where Rolling Stones compilations constitute their own genre. Not even the Who or the Doors can boast such a wide-ranging catalog of repackages.

As evidence, next week, the Forty Licks comp moves from Virgin to ABKCO. But don't weep for Virgin. They will see their Stones offering bulge in April with the resurrection of the long-out-of-print Made In The Shade and Sucking In The Seventies.

I can only assume Rewind is awaiting some sort of anniversary deluxe repackaging, perhaps with bonus tracks drawn from Made In The Shade and Sucking In The Seventies. A comp of comps. The meta-Greatest Hits.

The mind reels.

Made - http://tinyurl.com/5ovwh

Sucking - http://tinyurl.com/6a6pu

Forty - http://tinyurl.com/4nazm

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:44 pm

There's a poll going on over at SHtv: "What Is Your Favorite Rolling Stones Studio Album" http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... hp?t=47803.

As expected the big 4 albums dominate the results, accounting for 67% of the votes, each with approximately the same number of votes. I love those albums, but there is so much more to the Rolling Stones than Honky Tonk Woman and Brown Sugar.

My favorite Stones album is a compilation - the Abkco Singles Collection. For all the 'Undercover of the Night"s and Anybody See My Baby"s they did, they were at their best when they were giving the blues an even edgier sound. Clapton can't hold Keith Richards' jock strap when it comes to playing the blues.

it's a shame that the endless compilations that have been released and re-released tend to blow off the period when the Stones were at their best.
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are
guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the
place where the guy with the horns and pointed
stick conducts his business. - FZ

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:45 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:26 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but why is Forty Licks being re-released on ABKCO? Was this part of the agreement to allow Virgin to originally use the ABKCO material on Licks?

God damn! What's next? La Historia de Musica Rock?

Craig

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:05 pm

This is the only Historia de la Musica Rock worth having (seriously - brilliant album, brilliant concept):

If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:06 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but why is Forty Licks being re-released on ABKCO? Was this part of the agreement to allow Virgin to originally use the ABKCO material on Licks?

That's what I'm assuming, yes.

And, yeah, the Singles Collection kicks ass, though the third disc gets a little weak toward the end.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:11 am

Well, the Singles Collection's third disc is really stretching the concept uncomfortably...I don't think those Metamorphosis singles should count.

Re. Made in the Shade and Sucking...ugh. Upsetting, eh? In the wake of the Beatles Capitol set, is this sort of thing suddenly more socially acceptable?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:35 am

Well, the Singles Collection's third disc is really stretching the concept uncomfortably...I don't think those Metamorphosis singles should count.

Ditto. I guess they felt they had to pad out that third disc (even though it's still only 40 minutes and change) and find an excuse to put Sympathy on there. Oh, well.

Re. Made in the Shade and Sucking...ugh. Upsetting, eh? In the wake of the Beatles Capitol set, is this sort of thing suddenly more socially acceptable?

I guess, although I can't imagine those albums exude the same warm boomer fuzzies the '64 Beatles LPs do. Does this mean we can look forward to reissues of Love Songs and Reel Music? I impatiently await word.

Ryan

ohnothimagen

Postby ohnothimagen » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:10 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:Is there any chance that they might actually use the correct version of "Ruby Tuesday" on Forty Licks? Since this will be about the 50th Stones reissue in the last three years containing that track, you'd think they could finally get it right.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with "Ruby Tuesday" on Licks? I have that comp, as well as must of the ABKCO reissues (save for the U.S. albums). Are all the versions I have flawed?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:52 pm

Ever since the 2002 ABKCO reboot (including Licks), all versions of "Ruby Tuesday" have been missing a harmony vocal on the chorus.

I figure the only thing changing is the distributor (even the graphics on the "Virgin" issue include ABKCO logos), so it'll be the same wrong version.

Ryan

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:35 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:26 pm

Given the odd, incredibly conspicuous non-response on that issue from the official camp, I'm starting to believe that Mick or somebody didn't like the harmony vocal and requested that an alternate version (or perhaps the same-ol' version with an edited-in chorus section) take its place. The lengths ABKCO and ICE have gone to to avoid answering that question...
-------------

MK

Postby MK » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:05 pm

If they were smart, they'd make a two-disc post-ABKCO/Decca set that would cover everything to date.

Some of those old comps have 'rarities' like alternate mixes/remixes/etc., but they can save those for a rarities set.

You know, that ABKCO Singles Collection set could probably fit on two discs, if they left off the Metamorphosis stuff and "Wild Horses" and "Brown Sugar." Those last two are on so many post-ABKCO comps anyway, it's not like they'd be forgotten.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:46 pm

"Some" of those old comps? IIRC, I think "Sucking in the Seventies" is the only one...
-------------

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:17 am

When can we expect this on Cee Dee?

Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.