Mr. Soul/Bluebird/Merry Go Round/Uno Mundo Mixes

Just what the name says.
User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Mr. Soul/Bluebird/Merry Go Round/Uno Mundo Mixes

Postby lukpac » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:43 pm

This is borderline Snakepit material, but there's actually quite a bit of music content, so...

Somehow I came across this thread via Google. That prompted me to actually get the Mr. Soul/Bluebird single. First of all, here's a quick and dirty transfer of the 45 mix:

Mr. Soul (45 RPM mix)

Ok, now to clear some things up:

Ed Bishop wrote:Other than being a different take, with different guitars and vocals? Nothing at all....


Sorry Ed, same take, same vocals, and even some of the guitars are the same.

Mike D'Aversa wrote:Sounds like a completely different session than the album version.


See above.

jbohdan wrote:Bruce Palmer's (?) bass line in the verses sounds different or maybe it's the same just higher up in the mix.

Leppo wrote:Yes, it does sound very different indeed. In this legendary mono mix, the bass guitar has an even dirtier Fender Precision tone and an overall greater impact!


Nope, same bass line.

MatrixMan wrote:I believe the version of Mr Soul in mono on the box set was a demo.


Try again. The bass, drums, vocals, and even some of the guitars are all the same on the alternate, 45, and stereo mixes.

Steve Hoffman wrote:Wish I still had my ATCO 45. Of course, I dumped it when I got the AGAIN LP in 1969.

Silly me.


Since I just picked up 2 apparently new copies, and there seem to be more where those came from, it shouldn't be an issue.

Chris M wrote:So how many different versions of Mr. Soul are there? Is this accurate?

Mono mix
Stereo mix
The alternate take version that was issued by mistake
The alternate take from acetate that's on the Buffalo box


Chris (since you're here too), what's #3? I didn't see any responses over there. I was under the impression the mono LP mix was different - is it unique, or like the stereo mix (or 45)?

Hopefully to clear things up...

The "Satisfaction" riff is different on all 3 mixes. There's also some "backwards" guitar parts on the "alternate" mix not found on the other 2. Other than that, the "alternate" and 45 mixes seem to be identical in terms of instrumentation - same drums, bass, vocals and solos.

In terms of 45 vs stereo, as above, the "Satisfaction" riff is different, while the drums, bass and vocals are all the same. Of the solos, some (but not all) were re-done for the stereo.

The speeds and lengths are different on all 3 as well.
Last edited by lukpac on Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ess Ay Cee Dee
Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:35 pm
Contact:

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:22 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:28 pm

The dub above is from an "oldies" single. I've got another one (albeit with a different label) on the way. Have you heard the alt version/mix on the box set?

Bluebird simply fades out not long after "Do you think she loves you? Do you think at all?". I'll have to check, but I think some of the guitars might be mixed out near the end too, as to remove the impression that the song does in fact keep going.

Unfortunately the quality of that single just isn't very good. I doubt this one was ever played, and while the vinyl itself is fairly quiet, the music itself is really distorted. I'm not holding my breath on this other copy being much better.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ess Ay Cee Dee
Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:35 pm
Contact:

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:43 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:56 pm

If I was really ambitious I'd put together a "Box Set 2" with all the stuff left off of the box.

I don't think I'm that ambitious. But if I were...

Baby Don't Scold Me (stereo)
Mr. Soul (45 mix)
Bluebird (45 mix)
Again (mono LP)
Bluebird (9 minute version)
Merry Go Round (45 mix) (haven't heard this one yet)
Uno Mundo (45 mix) (as above)

And that's just the released stuff, not even counting the stereo BS album or the remaining Last Time Around tracks.. I believe there's plenty more that still hasn't seen the light of day.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
Patrick M
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: LukPac Land

Postby Patrick M » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:34 pm

lukpac wrote:If I was really ambitious I'd put together a "Box Set 2" with all the stuff left off of the box.

I don't think I'm that ambitious. But if I were...

Baby Don't Scold Me (stereo)
Mr. Soul (45 mix)
Bluebird (45 mix)
Again (mono LP)
Bluebird (9 minute version)
Merry Go Round (45 mix) (haven't heard this one yet)
Uno Mundo (45 mix) (as above)

And that's just the released stuff, not even counting the stereo BS album or the remaining Last Time Around tracks.. I believe there's plenty more that still hasn't seen the light of day.


Boy, it sure is a good thing there isn't a post already dedicated to this subject.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:36 pm

Nah, that's about something else.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Andreas
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:41 am

Postby Andreas » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:18 am

How is the single mix of For What It's Worth? I only have the stereo album mix in my collection.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:38 am

I don't have the single itself, but assuming it's the same as the one on the box set, it's not that different. A little longer, and the backing vocals aren't quite as high in the mix.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Chris M
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Mr. Soul Mixes

Postby Chris M » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:48 pm

I'm not sure what #3 is. Years ago someone sent me a disc of Buffalo outtakes and stuff left off the box. There is a version of Mr. Soul that was labled somethig like "alt take issued by mistake on rare 45". It didn't sound different enough for me to figure out what is was. It might simply be the common mono 45. I can't seem to find the disc but I'm sure I have it somewhere.

Chris

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:14 pm

Sounds like this:

http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/traces/pages/bs.html

1/9/67 Tentative first version of "Mr. Soul" is recorded by Buffalo Springfield at Atlantic Studios in New York. The track is only released by mistake on an Atlantic oldies single in the 1970's.


That was last updated in '98, so who knows. I've e-mailed the author, but as of yet have not heard back.

At this point I don't really feel like getting an *original* single, as chances are it will 1) cost more than either of the reissues I got, 2) sound even worse, and 3) be the exact same mix. That's not to say I've never wasted money in the past on stupid stuff like this, but...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:31 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:How does "Bluebird" compare to the LP version?


Bluebird (45 RPM mix)

Other than fading early and being distorted to all hell, the only real "unique" thing is the lack of electric guitar solo at the end.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
Patrick M
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: LukPac Land

Postby Patrick M » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:34 pm

Bluebird was a single?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4585
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:36 pm

Yep. Bluebird/Mr. Soul. Follow-up to For What It's Worth.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
Patrick M
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: LukPac Land

Postby Patrick M » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:42 pm

Didn't you say yesterday that Bluebird wasn't a single? Or were you just talking about the long one?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.