Dimebag Darrell, 3 others murdered at concert

Just what the name says.
Rspaight

Dimebag Darrell, 3 others murdered at concert

Postby Rspaight » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:44 am

This is sickening. What the hell is wrong with people?

And how long before some dimwit tries to blame "heavy metal"?

Gunman storms stage, kills 4 at Ohio nightclub
Police officer shoots suspect to death

Thursday, December 9, 2004 Posted: 7:39 AM EST (1239 GMT)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- A gunman stormed the stage during a heavy metal concert in Columbus, Ohio, on Wednesday night, firing at the band and audience and killing four people before a police officer shot and killed him, according to police.

One of the dead was guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. The gunman also wounded two people.

The man was "targeting members in the band," Columbus police Sgt. Brent Mull said.

Before the gunman was shot, police said, he grabbed a hostage and fired into the crowd. It was not clear what happened to the hostage.

The attack came shortly after the band, Damageplan, began its performance at the Alrosa Villa nightclub on Columbus' north end.

One of the wounded is in critical condition, and the other is hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries, police said. Two others were injured in the incident and treated at the scene, although the nature of their injuries was not clear.

According to witnesses, the gunman initially shot the band's guitarist, Dimebag Darrell.

Darrell, 38, and his brother, Vinnie Paul, 40, formed Damageplan after Pantera -- a group they formed in the 1980s -- broke up last year. Their father is Jerry Abbott, a country and western songwriter and producer.

Police were notified of the shooting around 10:18 p.m., Mull said. A uniformed police officer who was near the scene slipped into the venue from a back entrance, confronted the gunman during the rampage and killed him.

"If not for the officer who showed up, there would have been more dead," Mull said.

Witnesses described the shooter as a heavyset man, wearing a Columbus Blue Jackets hockey jersey.

Police roped off a huge area of the nightclub's parking lot, as 60 detectives questioned hundreds of witnesses. Police brought in buses to keep the witnesses warm as they waited to be questioned.

Calvin Bota said he saw the shooting from the mosh pit right in front of the stage, shortly after the band began playing.

"Somebody came -- I don't know where they came from, out of the audience or whatnot -- but they come onto (the) stage and ... he shot the guitarist at first, fired a couple of other shots and then he hid behind the stage a little bit," Bota told CNN affiliate WSYX.

"Everybody started scattering, you know, there's mayhem everywhere. And then a police officer came into the building, you know, came in professional with his gun raised and then he proceeded to shoot the guy."

Gerald Caudill said the gunman shot the guitarist at least four times.

"I was up close to the stage and I just saw some guy run up on the side of the stage and I heard some shots and I saw (drummer) Vinnie (Paul) fall and somebody jumped on top of Vinnie, and the guy just stayed around the stage and started shooting other people," Caudill said.

"I saw wounded people all over the place, out in the parking lot, inside," he said. "It just didn't sound like gunshots or anything, it didn't occur to me that something like that was happening."
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:10 am

It was heavy metal that caused this...the heavy metal in the guy's gun, that is.
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are
guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the
place where the guy with the horns and pointed
stick conducts his business. - FZ

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:29 am

Take a look at what JohnG said over at SHtv: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showp ... ostcount=8

That doesn't even need a comment.

Sorry about my knee-jerk gun comment, but that's what I do.
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are

guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the

place where the guy with the horns and pointed

stick conducts his business. - FZ

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:14 am

Wow. Tough room.

This tasteless joke was brought to you by:
krabapple
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:44 am

I'm not finding a whole lot funny about it at the moment.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:55 am

Update from Jamie/Yesman:

I just got a call from Joe Stampley (remember him?) He talked with Vinnie this morning. Vinnie said a guy jumped on stage and shouted "You broke up Pantera" then grabbed Darrel in a head lock and shot him five times in the back of the head before grabbing another person from the audience. Vinnie said he started to jump over the drum set to tackle the guy but a roadie got to him first and a cop fired a shotgun at the gunman's head killing him.

Vinnie also said he thinks it was a former band member from Louisiana but he wasn't sure. Panterea went through several incarnations before they found the right group of people.

Obviously this has shaken the whole family up a bit. They lost their mom six weeks after being diagnosed with cancer four years ago and now they lost Darrel. Vinnie said he will never perform on stage again.

What a sick, sick fuck.

Ryan

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:58 am

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:21 pm

er...was *that* a joke?

Over some 30 years, I've seen people beaten, robbed, or verbally abused at concerts I've attended, as well as seen attempts to set the place on fire. And these were just at mainstream, 70-s band rock type gigs, attended mostly by my age group (now in our 40s). I've never seen the acts themselves assaulted (at least not on purpose -- over-eager fans rushing the stage doesn't count) , but that may be as much a function of the fuddy-duddy bands I see as anything else.

And of course, there's things like Altamont, the Who stampede, Woodstock II (or was it III?),newsworthy outbreaks of violence at various rap and rock concerts, and other such public debacles to remind us how unsafe concerts can be...not just these days.

btw, I'm not saying that it's *normal* for someone to kill the guitarist onstage.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:33 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohnothimagen

Postby ohnothimagen » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:02 pm

dcooper wrote:Take a look at what JohnG said over at SHtv: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showp ... ostcount=8

grumpyGWBBGOP also said something quite assinine. Fortunately, Sckott handles the situation quite well.

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:16 pm

ohnothimagen wrote:
dcooper wrote:Take a look at what JohnG said over at SHtv: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showp ... ostcount=8

grumpyGWBBGOP also said something quite assinine. Fortunately, Sckott handles the situation quite well.

Yes indeed. Sckott did handle it well.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:00 pm

krabapple wrote:Woodstock II (or was it III?)

Woodstock III.
Craig