Membership Drive Underway

Just what the name says.
Ron

Postby Ron » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:53 pm

Grant wrote:Hmmmm...

So why did you delete from your post the part about SH gorts visiting this site? If in fact they do drop by, I hope they enjoy the frivality as much as we do. In fact, as we've a membership drive currently underway, I would welcome one and all to sign up and join in on the fun.

britre

Postby britre » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:11 pm

hmmmm all the talk and reference to "Steve Hoffman" made me actually go to the site to see what all the hubub was about.

On my way to the message board I first checked out what the man actually has done to earn his rep. The only familiarity as far as my personal listening ownership was that Mr. Hoffman did the reissue of , Jefferson Starship, Red Octopus both the CD and LP in 1997.

I have to say this is one of the S&^$$tiest sounding remaster LP's I have next to the two Columbia Men At Work Half Speed Master LP's. Granted the original issues of both Quadraphonic and Stereo R.O. were not the greatest with a serious rolloff at 12k, you would think Mr. Hoffman could have taken an effort to fix that and any tape anomalies. Unfortunately, that was not the case. It is almost as if the tape was threaded, rolled, and written to disc.

I did not go any farther as I simply can't have any faith in the opinion of someone who oviously has lost their hearing and gives the impression working on remasters is not work, it is just getting a tape and committing it to disc, no matter how bad that tape may sound.

Ron

Postby Ron » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:24 pm

Jeez, britre, I sure wouldn't want to go and draw conclusions about a man's work on the basis of one record. "Lost their hearing"? You think Steve Hoffman has lost his hearing? Are you nuts or something?
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

britre

Postby britre » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:44 pm

Ron wrote:Jeez, britre, I sure wouldn't want to go and draw conclusions about a man's work on the basis of one record. "Lost their hearing"? You think Steve Hoffman has lost his hearing? Are you nuts or something?

Wow! Literal reading, you got to love that :roll: Ok, so I may be a little harsh in my "hearing" statement, however if you want to send me a CDR of some premier Steve Hoffman examples, I would be happy to critical listen and withdraw my statements if I find they have been made prematurely... Write me in private and I will give you an address

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:51 pm

Brian,

Two things:

1) Red Octopus is, by far, one of Steve's worst efforts. The master tape was obviously damaged, and (apparently) there wasn't much he could do about it. While I don't agree with it, Steve generally doesn't use copy tapes.

2) Again, like it or not, Steve generally masters with the vocals in mind, keeping them as natural as possible. If a mix has a big roll-off but the vocals sound great, well, that's the way it is. A good example are his CCR discs. On, say, Cosmo's Factory, the drums are a bit mushy, while the vocals are a bit bright. Rather than EQ everything to make the drums "snap" (as have some other remasters), he focused on the vocals, letting everything else fall into place.

Did you look at *all* of the discography pages (DCC, MCA, and "other")? I can't believe you don't at least have a few other CDs or LPs that he's done.

For all of the problems I have with his site (and trust me, there are a lot of them), I still think he is one of the (if not *the*) best mastering engineers out there.

britre

Postby britre » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:05 pm

I find after reviewing the list I have two,

Razor & Tie RE 2061 1995 CD Gordon, Robert Red Hot 1977-1981

Elektra/4D 1990 CD Pixies, The Bossa Nova Did not master, but was co-writer of first track: Cecilia Ann

Since there is no real involvement in the Pixies album, I will refer to the Other Album,

While I applaud anyone or any lable that brings one of the best 70's rockabilly singers to the public via the compact disc format.... This again suffers from the same malady that Red Octopus has. Anyone who has hear Robert Gordon on vinyl (I was a early discoverer able to get the entire catalog before prices went overboard) will come to the imediate conclusion "the CD sucks". Thats I guess all I can say on that.

Luke, if you want to send me the best of Hoffman, I would welcome the opportunity to be impressed :o

Thesia

Postby Thesia » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:36 pm

Ron, Patrick M, thanks for the warm words of welcome. Glad to hear the KY contingent is growing strong.

Ron, to answer your questions: I'm blessed with the XX chromosome combo, and yes, I occasionally listen to Metallica, but I only own the black album (yeah, I know, the popular one). And as for its effect on me, well ... maybe I *should* get the DCC "Ride the Lightning". I'll have to talk to Ryan about that. (BTW, I must agree, it did sound funnier to say "girlfriend".)

As for being at least half as on the ball as Ryan -- I try to keep up, but it's difficult sometimes. My only ace card is that I've known him a loooong time and I know his secrets. Gives me an edge on occasion. Heh.

Ron

Postby Ron » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:39 am

Thesia, you are a delight! Look forward to future discussions about music and politics. But buy the DCC "Ride the Lightning" at your own risk!
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:04 am

Thesia wrote:Ron, to answer your questions: I'm blessed with the XX chromosome combo, and yes, I occasionally listen to Metallica, but I only own the black album (yeah, I know, the popular one). And as for its effect on me, well ... maybe I *should* get the DCC "Ride the Lightning". I'll have to talk to Ryan about that. (BTW, I must agree, it did sound funnier to say "girlfriend".)

Might I suggest the debut album Kill 'em All which contains a nice bass solo called (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth.

Ryan, you may borrow my DCC "Lightning," but you must clean it before returning it. I will be at the signup booth tomorrow from 5-8 PM.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:10 am

Ryan, you may borrow my DCC "Lightning," but you must clean it before returning it.

I could make a gross, horrible joke about possible new audiophile "tweak" applications to CDs, but I'm much more dignified than that.

Think I'll pass on "Lightning" (unless popular demand demands), but it would be cool to meet up sometime whilst manning the signup booth. Shoot me a PM if you want and we'll discuss.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Grant

Postby Grant » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:01 pm

britre wrote:hmmmm all the talk and reference to "Steve Hoffman" made me actually go to the site to see what all the hubub was about.

On my way to the message board I first checked out what the man actually has done to earn his rep. The only familiarity as far as my personal listening ownership was that Mr. Hoffman did the reissue of , Jefferson Starship, Red Octopus both the CD and LP in 1997.

I have to say this is one of the S&^$$tiest sounding remaster LP's I have next to the two Columbia Men At Work Half Speed Master LP's. Granted the original issues of both Quadraphonic and Stereo R.O. were not the greatest with a serious rolloff at 12k, you would think Mr. Hoffman could have taken an effort to fix that and any tape anomalies. Unfortunately, that was not the case. It is almost as if the tape was threaded, rolled, and written to disc.

I did not go any farther as I simply can't have any faith in the opinion of someone who oviously has lost their hearing and gives the impression working on remasters is not work, it is just getting a tape and committing it to disc, no matter how bad that tape may sound.

Hoffman's philosophy is not to tewak and repair. It is to simply translate what is actually on the tapes, unless, of course, the tapes really need help, as with the Mamas and Papas CD he did. He pelieves in leaving the tape hiss alone, and to not try to remove it through noise reduction.

Steve tries to return the sound back to where it was when originally mixed.

britre

Postby britre » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:39 pm

Grant wrote:
britre wrote:hmmmm all the talk and reference to "Steve Hoffman" made me actually go to the site to see what all the hubub was about.

Hoffman's philosophy is not to tewak and repair. It is to simply translate what is actually on the tapes, unless, of course, the tapes really need help, as with the Mamas and Papas CD he did. He pelieves in leaving the tape hiss alone, and to not try to remove it through noise reduction.

Steve tries to return the sound back to where it was when originally mixed.

Now on a Compact Disc wouldn't that mean he is leaving the RIAA Eq curve in tact which is gonna royally screw with the overal sound and transparency of the recording giving the audio the exact character I am complaining of?

Grant

Postby Grant » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:50 pm

britre wrote:
Now on a Compact Disc wouldn't that mean he is leaving the RIAA Eq curve in tact which is gonna royally screw with the overal sound and transparency of the recording giving the audio the exact character I am complaining of?

No. There is no RIAA curve on a mixdown tape, only on copies, which Steve will not use.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:44 pm

And yes, there is such thing as a "slight remix."
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:53 pm

Grant wrote:No. There is no RIAA curve on a mixdown tape, only on copies, which Steve will not use.

The RIAA curve doesn't exist on tape. PERIOD. If there were, and you played it back "flat", you'd essentially hear no bass.

The RIAA curve is applied in the cutting electronics.