Hendrix CDs?

Just what the name says.
User avatar
Rspaight
Posts: 4384
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:48 am
Location: The Reality-Based Community
Contact:

Postby Rspaight » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:14 pm

I was always impressed by Columbia and Atlantic CDs that didn't have red letters on a white background on the spine.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

User avatar
krabapple
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:19 pm

Postby krabapple » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:53 pm

For me it's the word 'remastered'. That always gives me a woody.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

User avatar
Crummy Old Label Avatar
Posts: 1226
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: Out of my fucking mind

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:27 pm

"From the Original Capitol Duophonic Master Tapes"
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

John Buchanan
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:50 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Postby John Buchanan » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:04 pm

lukpac wrote:
John Buchanan wrote:No RE-2 on the 1993 CDs, as they are MCA, not WEA.

You say "minimal NoNoise" on the EH versions. Is there *any*? I hadn't thought so. And I guess it's still up in the air about the 1993 CDs.

And what of the Polydor CDs?

Apparently the Non-US AYE (with the Track type booklet) has the original mono Red House, rather than the version recorded later in stereo and included on the US Smash Hits album.


According to the notes in the 1993 AYE booklet, both takes are from the same day (12/13/66). The UK version has never shown up in stereo, has it? I wonder why not.

And, yes, when I say "1993 CDs" I mean the alt cover/remastered by Joe Gastwirt/supervised by Alan Douglas CDs. Do *yours* still have the stamps :roll:


Luke, you're correct regarding the RE-2.
As for the NoNoise, I was hedging a little, in case some was used. Certainly, it's less than before, if any.
I have never heard the UK RedHouse in stereo.
John Buchanan

Dob
Posts: 903
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: Detroit

Postby Dob » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:16 pm

Rspaight wrote:So, according to that post, I shouldn't listen to Hendrix because my CDs are so completely inferior to some obscure Japanese issues that cost $30-150 apiece, made from nth-generation dubs with ancient A/D converters. That makes my life simpler.

I only have one P20P Japan CD, Band Of Gypsys, and IMO it has excellent sound. I haven't compared to the regular CD, and while I have the EH (Japan mini-LP) release (Fillmore East), there is hardly any overlap -- only one cut ("We Gotta Live Together", the P20P has an edited version).

As might be expected, the Japan CD is low in level with none of the "flat tops" of the EH (I did my own remaster/comp of the Band Of Gypsys live tracks). The tonality is also different -- the P20P is much warmer and less "compressed" sounding, whereas the EH more punch. I like the sound of both of them, but I wish the EH didn't have all those flat tops.
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

John Buchanan
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:50 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Postby John Buchanan » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:31 pm

Beatlesfan03 wrote:I never knew this was remastered as I have the original Capitol CD. Does this version also include the tracks that were released on Band Of Gypsies 2?

No.
The album is released as per the original vinyl. The booklet has changed however. For those extra tracks, you need look no further than Band of Gypsys Live at the Fillmore.
I have both CD versions of the Band of Gypsys, the first CD is in the promo mini-vinyl card format and looks great. I like the way the original green Capitol label was also replicated.
John Buchanan

User avatar
dudelsack
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:51 pm

Postby dudelsack » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:34 pm

FWIW - the original press of AYE? on Reprise CD sounds very nice to me. The same applies to EL on original 2-disc Reprise CD (neither is no-noised). I had at one point the WG Polydor (nudie) 2-CD set of EL, and I found that to not be as pleasant as the Reprise. I also found a copy of the WG Polydor AYE to be not as pleasant in the same exact way.
The Kiss The Sky target disc sucks, mastering wise, IMO. Not the same sound at all as the AYE and EL discs I have. Much more bright and brittle.

User avatar
Beatlesfan03
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:45 pm
Location: Another red state :(

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:39 pm

dudelsack wrote:FWIW - the original press of AYE? on Reprise CD sounds very nice to me. The same applies to EL on original 2-disc Reprise CD (neither is no-noised). I had at one point the WG Polydor (nudie) 2-CD set of EL, and I found that to not be as pleasant as the Reprise. I also found a copy of the WG Polydor AYE to be not as pleasant in the same exact way.
The Kiss The Sky target disc sucks, mastering wise, IMO. Not the same sound at all as the AYE and EL discs I have. Much more bright and brittle.


I don't have the target version of "Kiss The Sky," but I will agree that it is rather bright.

I'll throw this out here since my Hoffman query on this went unanswered. When I worked at a record store in my youth, I was always told that the Reprise 2 disc EL was the one to avoid and the single disc was the one to have. I was told the 2 disc version has a little bit too much hiss on it.

I have the single disc and while it mentions No-noise, there is still some hiss on it. Several times the two disc set came back in used, but I never bothered to check it out. I guess shame on me for not thinking for myself. I do see it come up every now and again used when I hit the stores, but it now has that inflation value added to its price because it is old and out of print.

I think I'm going to try and snag one of those Reprise AYE's as I've heard only good things about them, if only for the different running order. I don't really have any problems with the EH AYE.
Craig

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4589
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:29 am

Not sure I want to revisit this, but...

John Buchanan wrote:The Hendrix CDs have been mastered in the US several times.
AYE, Axis and ELL have been mastered 4 times.
1. Non-original master source (i.e. copy of the master) Possibly done by Lee Herschberg.
2. NoNoised version of 1. Joe Gastwirt, I think. RE-1 in dead wax.
3. MCA versions with ersatz album art and better tapes and less NoNoise. Done by Joe Gastwirt RE-2 in dead wax.
4. EH versions with digital maximisation, but better tapes, and minimal NoNoise. Done by Eddie Kramer.


I bring this up again because I picked up a #1 of Axis today, apparently. Reprise W2 6281, "CD Remastered by Lee Herschberg". I say "apparently", though, because there's an RE-1 on the disc. Silent remaster? Or do *all* original issues have RE-1? Of course I don't have a copy that specifically mentions NoNoise to compare. Don't know if there's NR or not, but there's more hiss (and a tad less high end) on my 1993/MCA/funky cover CD.

Anyone have the Polydor of this or the second issue Reprise?

Oh, and apparently the MCA "Ultimate Experience" uses the alternate/Polydor mixes. At least for Castles Made of Sand - that one is obvious.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
Crummy Old Label Avatar
Posts: 1226
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: Out of my fucking mind

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:57 am

If I were a mastering engineer, I'd create my own "extra hiss" plugin; just overlay more hiss on the recording, making certain that the end result features more hiss than any other disc out there.

Hell, if Peter Mew did just that, his name would be praised to the skies over at you-know-where.
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4589
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:42 pm

Image
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
Crummy Old Label Avatar
Posts: 1226
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: Out of my fucking mind

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Mon May 01, 2006 10:53 am

Is that Burl Ives, or just some arcane reference to which only SHtv "forum legends" are privy?
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4589
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Mon May 01, 2006 10:57 am

"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

User avatar
dudelsack
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:51 pm

Postby dudelsack » Mon May 01, 2006 12:53 pm

lukpac wrote:
I bring this up again because I picked up a #1 of Axis today, apparently. Reprise W2 6281, "CD Remastered by Lee Herschberg". I say "apparently", though, because there's an RE-1 on the disc. Silent remaster? Or do *all* original issues have RE-1? Of course I don't have a copy that specifically mentions NoNoise to compare. Don't know if there's NR or not, but there's more hiss (and a tad less high end) on my 1993/MCA/funky cover CD.


Usually the RE-1s are the no-noised versions, but not having skimmed the rest of the thread recently, did you guys decide that there was a RE-2 Axis, and that was the NR'ed version? A rare CD in either incarnation, BTW. You've got a Columbia House edition.

User avatar
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout
Posts: 4589
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby lukpac » Mon May 01, 2006 1:06 pm

Don't know if there was an RE-2 or not. I've seen the Reprise/Gastwirt/NoNoise version of EL around, but not Axis.

How do you know it was Columbia House? I didn't notice any markings to that effect.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD