Hendrix CDs?

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 31, 2006 8:20 am

I wonder if maybe they are in mono on *all* copies, and some just happen to note it.

Sure, post a clip or two. I'm *assuming* that the 1991 Polydor discs are clones of the RE-1 Reprise discs (done by Joe Gastwirt). The US running order would certainly support that. The only one I have is Axis, though.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

rivero

Postby rivero » Wed May 31, 2006 8:50 am

These are from the 1991 German AYE:

Purple Haze:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 0B6C5C7872

Hey Joe:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 8039F0C84A

I've also got the following:
1993 AYE - German (I think),
1991 Axis - German,
1993 Axis - US MCA,
and an Australian pressing of AYE that I'm pretty sure is the same as the German 1991.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 31, 2006 9:21 am

Yeah, those must be clones of the Reprise RE-1's. The album info you pulled even says [US 1990]. Hey Joe in particular has almost no hiss.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:51 pm

lukpac wrote:Ok, here's Purple Haze. Probably the most all over the map, both in terms of sound and speed. I'll reveal the sources later.

Purple Haze A [MP3]
Purple Haze A [FLAC]

Purple Haze B [MP3]
Purple Haze B [FLAC]

Purple Haze C [MP3]
Purple Haze C [FLAC]

Purple Haze D [MP3]
Purple Haze D [FLAC]

Here's my .02

A) A little bright but the guitar in the intro has more bite than the others.

B) Guitar sounds a little duller in the intro compared to A. Maybe some NR in the intro? I think the drums sound a little nicer here though.

C) Awful

D) Not bad but a little dull. I suspect some NR.

I'd probably pick A but B was nice too. The intro on A is better but for the body of the song I might prefer B. A sounds a bit more congested.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:51 am

A few random notes:

- Gastwirt *did* master the HDCD Ultimate Experience disc, as I had suspected.

- supposedly there was minimal NR on the 1993 discs - only some intros.

- the masters of AYE and EL were apparently used for both the Reprise RE-2 and 1993 MCA CDs; the tape boxes had scribbles from Hendrix on them. Axis was apparently a first gen copy as the master was stolen (perhaps EH *did* dig up that one?).

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:51 am

I got the original Reprise versions of the core 3 the other day, and should have some CD-Rs of Kiss The Sky and the Polydor discs soon. I'll do some more comparisons then.

I haven't done any A/Bing yet, but so far the Reprise discs sound pretty good. Perhaps the EQ could be better, but I don't hear any major source issues or anything.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:15 pm

Ok, here we go.

Foxy Lady. CDs used:

Are You Experienced? Reprise 6261-2. Mastered by Lee Herschberg
Are You Experienced? Polydor 825 416-2. Mastered by ???
Are You Experienced? MCA MCAD-10893. Mastered by Joe Gastwirt
Are You Experienced? MCA MCAD-11602. Mastered by Eddie Kramer & George Marino
Smash Hits. Polydor 825 255-2. Mastered by ???
The Ultimate Experience (HDCD Special Edition). Polydor 517 235-2. Mastered by Joe Gastwirt (not credited)

I haven't bothered tracking down a Reprise RE-1 copy, because I simply don't care. It should sound pretty much like the 1993 disc, only with more noise reduction. And, I'm fairly certain the second and third Polydor reissues are just mirrors of the Reprise RE-1 and 1993 MCA discs. I also didn't bother with the non-HDCD Ultimate Experience disc, as I'm pretty sure it just uses some of the earlier Polydor masters.

As usual, the clips are all level matched. If you want to guess which is which, have a blast, but I'm more interested in what people think sounds best.

Foxy Lady 1 (MP3)
Foxy Lady 1 (FLAC)

Foxy Lady 2 (MP3)
Foxy Lady 2 (FLAC)

Foxy Lady 3 (MP3)
Foxy Lady 3 (FLAC)

Foxy Lady 4 (MP3)
Foxy Lady 4 (FLAC)

Foxy Lady 5 (MP3)
Foxy Lady 5 (FLAC)

Foxy Lady 6 (MP3)
Foxy Lady 6 (FLAC)

I'll wait till opinions come in on this one, then do some more.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:40 am

lukpac wrote:Purple Haze A - EH
Purple Haze B - Ultimate Experience HDCD remaster (1995)
Purple Haze C - Ultimate Experience original (1992/93)
Purple Haze D - 1993 MCA

Hilarious. A and B are at the same speed, C is faster, D is slower. Preference? With headphone listening, I guess A. C sounds the weirdest by comparison. Loudspeaker listening might tell a different story.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

thomh

Postby thomh » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:17 am

I'm kinda partial to Foxy Lady 2.
Thom

Phil Elliott

Postby Phil Elliott » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:25 pm

I just posted this at sh.tv:

1 has a flakey stereo image ... as though it's a dub of a dub? It wavers a bit but is also tilted a bit to the right. Not for me.

2 is nice and solid; fairly balanced tone wise.

3 runs fast; wavers a bit stereo image wise, brighter but not necesarilly for the better. Not as full in the bottom end compared to 2.

4 runs slow. Dull tone. Do I have to listen to this? I mean, I know I just did, but ... ick.

5 has a dull tone too. Sounds a little "airless" aswell; could be the EQ throwing me off, but it sounds a bit NR'd (to me at least).

6 sounds very similar to 2. Hard to tell them apart. If there's a difference, I'm inclined to say for the moment that 2 sounds a little more open, but I might change my mind later, it's that close.

Hah ... I just hit the mono button on my RME card, and sure enough, 1 is horribly phasey.
"If you knew what I was thinking you'd BE me."

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:48 pm

1) god this is awful. I can't believe anyone would prefer this one. Sounds like it's coming out of a telephone.

2) my favorite. sounds the most full, open and natural. I'm guessing this is the EH.

3) tinny and bright. better than 1 but still crappy.

4) sounds dull.

5) a little dull..

6) this one gives # 2 a run for it's money. maybe a bit more relaxed than # 2? I'll have to listen some more. I'm guessing this is the HDCD..

Jelly

Postby Jelly » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:04 am

I only listened to the mp3's on my computer speakers so I don't know if this is worth anything...

2 and 6 sound the best to me, I'm guessing one of them is EH

1 is just bad, 3 runs too fast, 4 runs too slow (I think this is Gastwirt 93), 5 isn't good either

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:56 pm

1 - Are You Experienced? Polydor 825 416-2. Mastered by ???
2 - Are You Experienced? Reprise 6261-2. Mastered by Lee Herschberg
3 - Smash Hits. Polydor 825 255-2. Mastered by ???
4 - Are You Experienced? MCA MCAD-10893. Mastered by Joe Gastwirt
5 - The Ultimate Experience (HDCD Special Edition). Polydor 517 235-2. Mastered by Joe Gastwirt (not credited)
6 - Are You Experienced? MCA MCAD-11602. Mastered by Eddie Kramer & George Marino