Deja Vu CDs

Just what the name says.
Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:24 pm

There are different types of NR, aren't there?

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:16 pm

After some more comparisons, I have to say that with the exception of the intro of Deja Vu, the differences are really not big. No other passage is narrowed on the Gastwirt remaster. And there is probably no NR. Maybe just some muted high end.

On "4+20", there is some distortion on the first "four" word on the Gastwirt, but not on the older CD.

On the whole, even when normalized, the Gastwirt remaster has some booming, clanging quality that does not sound right.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:18 pm

Andreas wrote:And there is probably no NR. Maybe just some muted high end.

On the whole, even when normalized, the Gastwirt remaster has some booming, clanging quality that does not sound right.

I wouldn't disagree with that.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:48 pm

Of couse, none of of us has heard the master tape, nor have the resepective engineers involved explained what they did. So saying that the high end is rolled off in the Gastwirt, rather than tweaked upwards in the German issue, is a guess at best.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:05 pm

krabapple wrote:Of couse, none of of us has heard the master tape, nor have the resepective engineers involved explained what they did. So saying that the high end is rolled off in the Gastwirt, rather than tweaked upwards in the German issue, is a guess at best.

Well, that's a good point too.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD