Sterling Sound remastering US Beatles albums

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:35 am

I'm sure I'll get laughed at by EACD, but I do like that false start...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:57 am

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:25 am

Nostalgia, of course. Look at those old album covers! Check out those track lineups! Yeah!

Well, heck, if they just use the '87 CD masters, you could do that with a CD burner and an inkjet printer.

Not that I'm especially interested in them in either case (which is better -- reconfigured versions of stuff you already have, or reconfigured versions of stuff you already have with crappier sound?).

What I *would* be interested in is well-done two-fer releases of everything up through the White Album in stereo and mono, including singles. If this box actually contains that (not Dexter duophonic echocrap), it might be worth getting, though the British albums would be more useful and interesting.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:32 am

Rspaight wrote:Well, heck, if they just use the '87 CD masters, you could do that with a CD burner and an inkjet printer.

But these would be official! And remastered!

Why do people buy Japanese mini-LP versions?

And anyway, that was assuming they'd use the stereo mixes.

Not that I'm especially interested in them in either case (which is better -- reconfigured versions of stuff you already have, or reconfigured versions of stuff you already have with crappier sound?).

What I *would* be interested in is well-done two-fer releases of everything up through the White Album in stereo and mono, including singles. If this box actually contains that (not Dexter duophonic echocrap), it might be worth getting, though the British albums would be more useful and interesting.

Assuming they use the pre-"Dexterized" stereo tapes, I'd probably jump. Heck, in the case of Something New, stereo at all would be fine, since that album doesn't have any added "badness". Anyone know what "Early Beatles" sounded like?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:37 am

lukpac wrote:Why do people buy Japanese mini-LP versions?

You'll have to ask rspaight about that one. I've never seen the appeal.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:22 am

You'll have to ask rspaight about that one. I've never seen the appeal.

I own exactly three -- Kids Are Alright (for a while the only way to get the whole album on CD, as the domestic disc was edited), and two XTC albums which were "officially" imported and available for domestic prices (and actually remastered). So I'm no expert.

That said, I think they look nifty, the packaging is more accurate to the original release, and they take up less space than jewel cases or digipacks. They're fun little fetishist items. But they're not worth $30+ a pop.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:27 am

Rspaight wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's the point of this project if they *don't* use the Dexter tapes?

Rspaight wrote:I think they look nifty, the packaging is more accurate to the original release ... They're fun little fetishist items.

I think you just answered your own question.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:41 am

Yeah, I suppose. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since these are the same clowns who gave us the megapriced 2-CD 65-minute "Red" album.

Ryan

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:52 am

I'm all for jewel cases myself. I do have the mini LP of Black Sabbath s/t, but I wind up storing the mini LP separate from the CD so as to avoid shelf wear, so what's the point?

I had a couple of the Tull ones, but I sold them.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:13 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:42 pm

Would you even need 2-3 discs? Even with mono and stereo, offhand, I can't think of that much stuff.

UA And I Love Her (mono)
UA I'll Cry Instead (mono)
Thank You Girl (stereo)
Don't Bother Me (stereo) (Canadian)
Long Tall Sally (mono and stereo)
I Call Your Name (mono and stereo)
When I Get Home (mono)
Any Time At All (mono)
She's A Woman (mono)
We Can Work It Out (stereo)
Day Tripper (stereo)
Tomorrow Never Knows (mono) (UK)
Doctor Robert (mono and stereo)
And Your Bird Can Sing (mono)
I'm Only Sleeping (mono and stereo)
Strawberry Fields Forever (stereo)
Penny Lane (mono)

That's of course besides any "regular" mono and stereo UK mixes not on CD now.

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:53 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:23 pm

Of course, the ideal solution for those two would be to just make them the "regular" versions. Really, is there any reason *not* to?

Then again, that would require yet another hits collection of some sort. Or a stereo issue of WTB.

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:32 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:13 pm

lukpac wrote:Would you even need 2-3 discs? Even with mono and stereo, offhand, I can't think of that much stuff.

UA And I Love Her (mono)
UA I'll Cry Instead (mono)
Thank You Girl (stereo)
Don't Bother Me (stereo) (Canadian)
Long Tall Sally (mono and stereo)
I Call Your Name (mono and stereo)
When I Get Home (mono)
Any Time At All (mono)
She's A Woman (mono)
We Can Work It Out (stereo)
Day Tripper (stereo)
Tomorrow Never Knows (mono) (UK)
Doctor Robert (mono and stereo)
And Your Bird Can Sing (mono)
I'm Only Sleeping (mono and stereo)
Strawberry Fields Forever (stereo)
Penny Lane (mono)

That's of course besides any "regular" mono and stereo UK mixes not on CD now.

And though it's duophonic, you can't forget that echo-drenched "I Feel Fine" that some of the folks at SHTV rave about. Of course..strictly for nostalgic reasons.
Craig