Silly SH forum question

Just what the name says.
Kym in Hawaii

Silly SH forum question

Postby Kym in Hawaii » Mon May 19, 2003 11:25 pm

Can someone enlighten me about this silly Nauga shit in the SH forum? :x

I have no desire whatsoever to enhance my SH avatars with Naugas – I just want to know what this is all about. I had asked before in that forum and got nothing but "if you have to ask, you don't know!" exclusivity kind of answers.

Thanks in advance!
K Y M

Patrick M

Re: Silly SH forum question

Postby Patrick M » Mon May 19, 2003 11:51 pm

Kym in Hawaii wrote:Can someone enlighten me about this silly Nauga shit in the SH forum? :x

A new rule is currently being drafted, whereby questions such as these - juxtaposed with profanity - on "other" forums will lead to a swift suspension.

I have no desire whatsoever to enhance my SH avatars with Naugas – I just want to know what this is all about. I had asked before in that forum and got nothing but "if you have to ask, you don't know!" exclusivity kind of answers.

You're asking the wrong people - most of us are banned/suspended/in time out.

Kym in Hawaii

Postby Kym in Hawaii » Mon May 19, 2003 11:58 pm

Oh, okay. Sorry I asked. :(
K Y M

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Tue May 20, 2003 9:13 am

K Y M,

Don't listen to Patrick--he's one of the disenfranchised--by choice or design, well, only he knows for sure.

Here's your explanation, and no, I don't expect a suspension for telling you(hell, I'd tell you over there if you'd asked!) :roll:

It's a reference to Naugahyde--once used for car interiors, motorcycle seats, and the like. Our SH pal Gary once described naugahyde in his signature, and somehow, it took off from there. It's silly, yeah, but fun, and also unique. As a joke, HZ not only came up with the Nauga avatar--which is pretty nifty, and I use it in birthday and other congratulatory posts--but during April Fool's began inserting them into certain avatars--including mine(it's in Buffy's bodice, you may have noticed). Nobody seems to mind, and with the addition of the SH Frog(Michigan J. Frog of WB cartoon fame)lends the place a certain distinction. So what if it's silly shit? Who cares? I like silly shit, myself. There's nothing I detest more than a forum like HTF, where everything is business and having a good time with bullshit and banter is discouraged.

And you needn't worry: not likely a Nauga will turn up in an avatar of yours anytime soon. Only certain 'good sports' get them. You might try being one, but that's up to you.

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue May 20, 2003 4:31 pm

Kym in Hawaii wrote:Oh, okay. Sorry I asked. :(

I didn't mean to offend, but the simple fact is that several of us don't know what is going on over there.

Grant

Postby Grant » Wed May 21, 2003 4:51 pm

This Nauga stuff was started by SH member Larry Naramore. I remember.

Kym in Hawaii

Postby Kym in Hawaii » Wed May 21, 2003 5:28 pm

Thank you all. I appreciate the enlightenment. :D
K Y M

Beatlelennon65

Postby Beatlelennon65 » Fri May 23, 2003 2:21 pm

I thought the Naugas were a bit stupid, but you just have to roll with it. It's a bit Pythonesque if you ask me. Also, I like stupid shit too, as it is much better than serious shit. Also, I am not trying to put a certain home theatre message board down, but the initials are HTF. I got booted off that site after about 2 weeks. Those guys are waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy too serious. Talk about serious shit...
it's a leap to conclusions mat...

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Fri May 23, 2003 5:09 pm

I'm afraid HTF plays for keeps. I get a kick out of anyone who bitches about Steve's forum; hey, they're pretty liberal compared to HTF--well, yeah, just about any other forum is. But....they have over 34,000(!!!)members, and yeah, they're way too serious for me. But they also have some interesting threads that I've found irresistible, but you gotta be careful, it doesn't take much to get some of the veterans' noses bent out of shape. It's not a place for the unwary, you will indeed wind up out on your ass. They don't have a 3-strikes-you're-out policy; if you get out of line, they'll boot you. I know one of the owners, Ron Epstein, well enough to have an idea of what I can and can't get away with. So far, I'm okay.
Generally, though, I do a lot more reading than posting there.

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

Grant

Postby Grant » Tue May 27, 2003 4:37 pm

Don't forget BSN... :shock: