Paint It Black / Guitar Hero

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue May 27, 2008 10:33 pm

Don't know if it's for gameplay or what, but there's some strange mixing around of stuff. For Gimmie Shelter, I find:

1 - drums
2 - drums (seems identical to 1)
3 - bass
4 - composite track 1, left (guitars, drum leakage)
5 - composite track 1, right
6 - vocals
7 - vocals (seems identical to 6)
8 - composite track 2, left (piano, harp, guitars, drum leakage)
9 - composite track 2, right

What's odd is that, for example, the piano and harp are always on 8/9, but the lead guitar switches back and forth between 4/5 and 8/9. The drum leakage and rhythm guitars always switch to the opposite set of tracks.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue May 27, 2008 10:45 pm

One of the threads I read implied that the .mogg files are actually the source format.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue May 27, 2008 10:53 pm

WGFA:

1 - drums, left
2 - drums, right (can't tell if they are actually narrow stereo or just mono with some stereo reverb)
3 - bass
4 - guitar, left
5 - guitar, right (again, hard to tell exactly what's going on with the stereo)
6 - lead vocal
7 - lead vocal (seems to be a copy of 6 with lots of reverb)
8 - composite track 1, left (acoustic guitar, backing vox, handclaps, bits of electric guitar)
9 - composite track 2, right (synth, backing vox, handclaps, bits of electric guitar)
10 - cheesy "audience" during chorus, left
11 - cheesy "audience" during chorus, right

I'm not totally sure what's going on with the 2 (?) electric guitars yet.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Wed May 28, 2008 1:06 am

lukpac wrote:Now how the hell do I get these into WAVs?

It's simple with Audacity, just use the "Export Multiple" function.
-Matt

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed May 28, 2008 1:08 am

Tom Stroud wrote:Big old list of Rock Band extractions
http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?2,913549,page=2

Thanks for the download links Tom! I just downloaded "Suffragette City" and it's a pretty interesting listen.
-Matt

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed May 28, 2008 1:22 am

A warning, "Tom Sawyer" is not the original version by Rush. "Don't Fear The Reaper" and "Highway Star" are original versions though.
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 am

Matt wrote:It's simple with Audacity, just use the "Export Multiple" function.

I must have missed that, but I was able to just select each track and do "Export Selection".

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed May 28, 2008 7:50 am

I just got the first Cars album for Rock Band -- there's definitely a lot of weirdness going on there to make it work. Previously buried lead guitar lines are now front and center. I suspect some alternate takes were used, and some seriously extended endings to eliminate the fadeouts. Fun!
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed May 28, 2008 10:18 am

I can't believe that I've wanted to hear some of this stuff for years and it finally comes my way via a nerdy iteration of Dance Dance Revolution.

Gotta say, though, I preferred the lossless rips we were getting before.
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 28, 2008 10:50 am

Xenu wrote:Gotta say, though, I preferred the lossless rips we were getting before.

You think there's problems with the quality? My qualms are more with the sub mixing and reverb, rather than the MOGG files themselves.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed May 28, 2008 12:22 pm

True that. I suppose I should have emphasized: "untampered" lossless. Although I have to say, the only thing that consistently bugs me here is the reverb applied to the vocals (and we still seem to have the dry set for "Sufragette City").
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 28, 2008 12:25 pm

Xenu wrote:True that. I suppose I should have emphasized: "untampered" lossless. Although I have to say, the only thing that consistently bugs me here is the reverb applied to the vocals (and we still seem to have the dry set for "Sufragette City").

Yeah, but I doubt we'd get anything any more pure unless it was leaking from the game studio, rather than just ripped from the disc.

The duplicate tracks are pretty puzzling. Gimmie Shelter especially, where there aren't any differences in reverb.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed May 28, 2008 1:20 pm

A guess as to the guitar track(s) moving around -- the game has you "play" different guitar parts throughout the song (whichever one is more "interesting" at the time), so it might rotate the current "played" part onto whichever track is present/dropped based on the player's performance and shuffle the other guitar part onto a "static" track.

No need to do this (normally) for drums, bass or vocals since there's usually only one of those.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:02 pm

12 Who songs from the masters will be released on July 15th for Rock Band.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2Ew ... wD91KC5180

Originally the plan was to release "Who's Next" as a full album, but apparently some of the multis went missing:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54485

So expect to see a lot of WN songs, plus "My Generation" and "Who Are You" (the other songs mentioned in the above AP release) and others.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:13 pm

Rspaight wrote:12 Who songs from the masters will be released on July 15th for Rock Band.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2Ew ... wD91KC5180

Originally the plan was to release "Who's Next" as a full album, but apparently some of the multis went missing:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54485

So expect to see a lot of WN songs, plus "My Generation" and "Who Are You" (the other songs mentioned in the above AP release) and others.

Yeah, I suppose Bargain, Song Is Over and Gettin' In Tune are still missing, and as someone pointed out there, Baba probably can't be used as several parts were apparently recorded together.

Perhaps My Generation is from Leeds? I'd think the original recording would be pretty useless - no lead guitar, drums and bass recorded together... Then again, would they *really* put a 15 minute medley on RB?