See Emily Play

Just what the name says.
Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:00 am

JWB wrote:When was the singles reel edited together? It says it was done in the 90's in book. The singles multitracks were probably gone by 1971 when "Relics" was put together because "Arnold/Emily" were fake stereo and "Paintbox" was the vintage stereo mix.

I wonder what is on that freaking "Arnold/Candy" multitrack? Why would they keep the outtakes and junk the mutli-track?

Not sure when the singles reel was put together. Maybe for the Early Singles disc?

I'd love to know what is on that Arnold/Candy 4 track. The tape box is very confusing with lots of stuff scratched out. I doubt it has all of the final elements but it does say "1st overdub" for both Candy and Arnold. If it has any vocals I wonder if it has the alternate Candy lyrics?

Speaking of early Floyd rarities I have a fairly recent interview with Waters where he goes on about how brilliant he thinks Veg Man. He recites some of the lyrics and them tells him that "they released it on some compilation." Amazing isn't it? Most Syd fans think Waters is a roadblock to releasing this stuff and apparently he thinks some of it has already been released!
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:03 pm

I was thinking that it's possible that some of the early singles reels might have been left at Sound Techniques. I wonder if anyone has tried to track down that lot?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

wasakithis

Postby wasakithis » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:33 pm

what is with these old audio and video studios??? Don't they check inch by inch what they have and everything to organise the place and label everything once and for all? and release the nice stuff... Or everything for that matter... then the world will be a perfect place... :D

Anyways, I heard Pat Boone might have a copy of the infamous Apples And Oranges performance from his show... someone asked him and he said that he kept alot of the tapes from the show and that he remembers that one... That would be incredible if it were released... even if Syd barely moves his lips (so they say...)

When the American Bandstand performance was unearthed, didn't they find See Emily Play as well? I remember seeing on a documentary a bit of A&O without the counter on the bottom... the same one had a film for Vegetable Man... I think there are alot of unseen material that they (whomever they are) are not letting us see and is killing us!

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:19 am

wasakithis wrote:what is with these old audio and video studios??? Don't they check inch by inch what they have and everything to organise the place and label everything once and for all? and release the nice stuff... Or everything for that matter... then the world will be a perfect place... :D

Anyways, I heard Pat Boone might have a copy of the infamous Apples And Oranges performance from his show... someone asked him and he said that he kept alot of the tapes from the show and that he remembers that one... That would be incredible if it were released... even if Syd barely moves his lips (so they say...)

When the American Bandstand performance was unearthed, didn't they find See Emily Play as well? I remember seeing on a documentary a bit of A&O without the counter on the bottom... the same one had a film for Vegetable Man... I think there are alot of unseen material that they (whomever they are) are not letting us see and is killing us!

A friend of mine interviewed Boone as well as someone that worked on the show and he was under the impression that the entire archive from the Boone show was destroyed years ago. I'm almost positive that they only mimed to one song on Bandstand (Apples). I have the unedited 5 minute clip including the complete interview. It's rather surreal watching Dick Clark interview Syd Barrett..

That Vegetable Man clip is just some random BBC film with a crappy bootleg version of the Top Gear Vegetable Man played over it. There is no real Vegetable Man promo.

Loads of stuff was filmed in '67 but very little of it has turned up. The early Floyd were on TV quite a bit. Several live shows were filmed as well but nothing has ever surfaced.

JWB

Postby JWB » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:50 am

It's interesting that they used a really, really bad copy of the BBC "Vegetable Man" for that film and not the studio version, or even a BBC mastertape version. I know a lot of people who saw that clip and said "That's Vegetable Man? No wonder they didn't release it...it's horrible!"

wasakithis

Postby wasakithis » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:51 pm

Chris M wrote:I'm almost positive that they only mimed to one song on Bandstand (Apples). I have the unedited 5 minute clip including the complete interview. It's rather surreal watching Dick Clark interview Syd Barrett..

In the book In The Flesh, says they mimed Apples and Emily... then again, they didnt mention the Arnold Layne Bouton Rouge bit, so there are bound to be more little "mistakes" (rather, inaccuracies...). Another source i've seen online said they didnt Emily and Arnold Layne, but that was probably wrong...

By the way, is your copy of A&O this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIR7CbPr3VE... It's the most complete version on youtube but it isnt 5 mins long... if yours is different, where can I find it? tis my favorite Syd era song. And I prefer this to the Belgian promo vid. Roger looks too.... happy...

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:59 pm

I couldn't get that link to work but the longest version I found on youtube was 3:30. Mine is approx 5:10 or so. Unfortunately I don't have a DVD drive on my computer. If I did I would post it. I guess it's possible they also mimed to Emily but my copy looks complete. It starts with Dick Clark sitting with a bunch of kids and holding a copy of Piper. I don't think they did anything before that. The interview is a good bit longer as well. Syd doesn't look quite as spaced out during the interview.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:07 pm

JWB wrote:It's interesting that they used a really, really bad copy of the BBC "Vegetable Man" for that film and not the studio version, or even a BBC mastertape version. I know a lot of people who saw that clip and said "That's Vegetable Man? No wonder they didn't release it...it's horrible!"

Yeah, people told me the same thing about that awful quality Veg Man clip. In addition to the crap quality it runs too slow. Parts of that BBC doc were really well done but other parts were really cheesy (the Bike montage, etc). The recent 'Deluxe" 2 DVD set of that program has 2 really long interviews with Gilmour and Waters (done separately of course) that are interesting. Waters really comes across as a big Syd fan. I can't imagine he would have any problem with a Syd rarities release. I think everyone just assumes that they will veto any Syd era PF rarities so they don't even bother asking them. Mason's vocals on Veg Man and (especially) Scream seem to be a source of embarassment. Maybe that's part of the problem? I can't imagine Wright cares either way..

wasakithis

Postby wasakithis » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:39 pm

Chris M wrote:I couldn't get that link to work but the longest version I found on youtube was 3:30. Mine is approx 5:10 or so. Unfortunately I don't have a DVD drive on my computer. If I did I would post it. I guess it's possible they also mimed to Emily but my copy looks complete. It starts with Dick Clark sitting with a bunch of kids and holding a copy of Piper. I don't think they did anything before that. The interview is a good bit longer as well. Syd doesn't look quite as spaced out during the interview.

It must be different... Well, at least I know of it's existence, I'll try finding it on some PF hub...

Btw, Emily was mentioned after Apples in the book... did it seem like Pink Floyd were done at the end of your film?

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:42 pm

It did look like they were finished. After the interview you can see Waters put his guitar down and Clark starts talking about the next act.

barrympls

Postby barrympls » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:13 am

Chris M wrote:I think Emily is fake stereo on the Tower LP. There is no true stereo See Emily. Unfortunately the Emily multitracks are long gone. A major bummer as supposedly the single was edited down from a much longer performance. Actually, all of the Piper multitracks are gone as well save for one 4 track reel of Matilda Mother takes.

A 4 track reel from the Arnold Layne sessions does survive though. The tape box is really confusing though so the exact contents of the reel are a mystery. I imagine it's missing some final elements but we really don't know.

Hey, guys...new member here.

The state of the early Pink Floyd are a mess. First, Joe Boyd, original producer, claims to have the multi tracks on the sides he produced before EMI assigned the band to Norman Smith (which apparently includes unreleased material). I'm fairly sure that EMI had the multi tracks for "See Emily Play", "It Would Be So Nice" and "Point Me At The Sky", but apparently Roger Waters has blocked any remixing on these sides.

"Apples and Oranges" appears in stereo on the long-in-print Dutch LP, and, of course, "Paint Box" is on Relics. "Julia Dream" appears in stereo on a bootleg CD I own.

I wish the heck the band members and EMI would get over the problems and issue all of the Odd and Ends in true stereo.

wasakithis

Postby wasakithis » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:55 pm

barrympls wrote:"Julia Dream" appears in stereo on a bootleg CD I own.

Julia Dream appears in stereo on Relics... There is an alternate stereo-ish mix available where I think only Roger's vocals are echoed (which appears on the best of where APples And Oranges in stereo appears...)

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:23 am

barrympls wrote:The state of the early Pink Floyd are a mess. First, Joe Boyd, original producer, claims to have the multi tracks on the sides he produced before EMI assigned the band to Norman Smith (which apparently includes unreleased material). I'm fairly sure that EMI had the multi tracks for "See Emily Play", "It Would Be So Nice" and "Point Me At The Sky", but apparently Roger Waters has blocked any remixing on these sides.

There is a book called Random Precision which pluders the EMI vault. It says nothing about Joe Boyd having any mutli-tracks, just that they're missing in action. Also, the See Emily Play multis are nowhere to be found.

barrympls

Postby barrympls » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:09 am

JWB wrote:
barrympls wrote:The state of the early Pink Floyd are a mess. First, Joe Boyd, original producer, claims to have the multi tracks on the sides he produced before EMI assigned the band to Norman Smith (which apparently includes unreleased material). I'm fairly sure that EMI had the multi tracks for "See Emily Play", "It Would Be So Nice" and "Point Me At The Sky", but apparently Roger Waters has blocked any remixing on these sides.

There is a book called Random Precision which pluders the EMI vault. It says nothing about Joe Boyd having any mutli-tracks, just that they're missing in action. Also, the See Emily Play multis are nowhere to be found.

Wow....(I gotta get that book), but I always thought that EMI was one of the few huge companies that took pride in maintaining all of their tapes. Think of it; only 4 Beatles tracks' multis are no longer available (Love Me Do, P.S. I Love You, She Loves You and I'll Get You). All of the rest of 'em are there. I have never heard any horror stories about The Hollies masters, either.

So...I can imagine that something unusual happened to the "Emily" tape.

As regards Joe Boyd, it's common knowledge that Boyd was producing Pink Floyd and between the first and second single, prior to the first LP, the decision was made to replace Boyd with Norman Smith, who was an EMI staff producer. I read back when Boyd had the Hannibal label that he had the multi-tracks for "Arnold Layne", "Candy And A Currant Bun" and a handful of early versions of tracks that ended up on the album. I've also heard that "Candy..." was originally recorded as "Let's Roll Another One" and EMI nixed that.
Last edited by barrympls on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:14 am

barrympls wrote:Think of it; only 4 Beatles tracks' multis are no longer available (Love Me Do, P.S. I Love You, She Loves You and I'll Get You). All of the rest of 'em are there.

No, that's just what wasn't mixed to stereo (and in the case of LMD/PSILY, recorded twin-track). A lot of the PPM session tapes no longer exist, and all but one of the WTB session tapes are gone.

Not that it really relates to Pink Floyd, but...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD